"Read Document (Emails) on RapidMiner Server"

cmaestricmaestri Member Posts: 7 Contributor I
Hello

I made a process where I read emails with the Operator "Read Documents from Mails". The process is saved in my rapidminer server instance. I use the "explicit" config.

Issue: when I test the process in RapidMiner Studio, it connects successfully and reads all emails. As soon as I submit the process to the server, it breaks with the error "authentication FAILED".

How can this be?

Please help!

Many thanks in advance!
Carolina
0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Nothing to do here. A proper setup solves this issue.

Comments

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi @cmaestri,

Which versions of Studio and Server are you running? Are they the same? A recent improvement in password encryption might mess with your setup if you use different versions.

Best,

Edin

• cmaestricmaestri Member Posts: 7 Contributor I

Hi @Edin_Klapic

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here are the versions:

Studio Free 8.1.000

Server Free 8.1.0

Everything is installed on a Windows Server 2012 R2.

The versions are the same, there should not be incompatibilities in that sense...

Thaks and regards,

Carolina

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi @cmaestri,

Ok, so we can exclude the version problem.

Just to make sure: You wrote the authentication failed when you submit the process to RapidMiner Server.

What do you mean by that? Saving, Executing via "Run Process on Server", ... ?

For further investigation I have 2 requests:

1. Which email provider do you want to access?
    2. Can you post the logfile of the failing process? It is available through the Web Interface of RapidMiner Server. Please make sure that you remove confidential information.

Best,

Edin

Hi @Edin_Klapic

This is the general error message that I receive from RapidMiner:

"Login failed: RapidMiner cannot connect to your IMAP or POP3 server, probably due to a wrong host name, user name or password, or a broken Internet connection."

To your questions:
    1- the email address is a "company" email address, and the provider is "www09.servertown.ch"

2- the error log is attached

Thanks for your support!

Bests,
    Carolina

Hi @cmaestri,

I just realized we were not talking about the version of your Text processing extension on the Server (and the ofc the Job Agent).

Although it might not be the root of this problem we recommend to always use the same extension version in both environments.

The error description does not really lead to this but are you sure that your Server has access to the internet?

You can check this by executing the Operator Get Page e.g. on the url http://www09.servertown.ch and store and examine the result.

Best,

Edin

Hi @Edin_Klapic

The extension Text Processing is the same on Studio as on Server.

The Server does have access to the internet, since I manage to read several web pages and RSS feeds.
    The issue is with the emails: not only this one I mentioned you, but also ones from outlook server.

What about connection properties? So far I specify only "mail.imap.ssl.enable" and "mail.imap.port". Is there a parameter that allows me to specify e.g. the password? Maybe if the Server gets it in "letters", the login can be successful.

What do you think?

Thanks again and regards,

Carolina

• Pavithra_RaoPavithra_Rao Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 123 RM Data Scientist

Hi @Pavithra_Rao

yes, indeed I ran into that article few days ago, and implemented what it was suggested. This however did not help, I still get the error "authentication failed" when I submit my process to the server and the server has to execute it.
    Again, when I run the process in RM Studio, it works marvellously.

The issue is in the RapidMiner Server!

Anyone else who can think of any useful connection property to fix this?

Thanks a lot

Carolina

@Edin_Klapic @Pavithra_Rao

I found out, after 1 day of investigation, that it is a problem linked to encryption.

Indeed, when I run the process in RapidMiner Studio, the program decrypts the password before sending the authentication request.
    Whereas in RapidMiner Server, the program sends the request without decrypting the password.

I believe, this is a bug that the team should fix.

Meanwhile, I try to roll back to the old version of text processing, hoping that it will work.

thanks again for the support!!

Regards,

Carolina Maestri

Hi @cmaestri,

Good you could identify the issue.
    Just for clarification: Your were using Version 8.1. of the Text Processing extension on both environments, right?

Because the encryption was introduced with this version of Studio and Server which needed a new version of the Extension.

Thanks and Best regards,

Edin

@Edin_Klapic

Yes, I was using version 8.1 of Text Processing on RapidMiner Server AND Studio 8.1

I've just tried to use Text Processing 7.3 but it still gives me "login failed". So I presume the Team will need to fix the encryption on the Server side, before I can run anything.

Again, Thanks @Edin_Klapic for your support!

Regards,

Carolina

Thanks @cmaestri!

I forwarded the request for Bugfix internally.

Best,

Edin

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @cmaestri - yes it seems like there may be an issue there. I'm pushing this to Product Feedback. Thanks for reporting.

Scott

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager