Versioning is a *must*!

fryasdffryasdf Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
edited December 2018 in Product Feedback - Resolved

For every professional development tool, some kind of versioning is a must. At the moment, versioning and working with multiple [i.e. >=2!!!] people on the same processes is a nightmare: We use different folders for different branches and there is not help whatsoever when there are conflicts. Even worde: RM encourages you to just overwrite files! Luckily we are not in the 1950ths anymore and you could easily make use of existing versioning systems. You could even save time and strip off some of the weird functionality of git in order to make it work like svn (because, hey, if users choose a graphical tool like RM because they do not want to use code then we can be pretty sure that they [like me] do not want to know the differences between commit and push, pull and fetch, reset and reset hard, branches, ....). Additionally you should create a nice diff viewer (not based on the pure xml files RM is producing but rather in the same graphical manner you present proceses in the usual way... i.e. it could 'mark' areas with red or green color depending whether or not some ops were removed or added in that 'area' of the process). That would be really helpful in order to resolve conflicts.

Cheers,

Fabian Werner

13 votes

Fixed and Released · Last Updated

Implemented in RM Server. See notes.

Comments

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    so just a follow-up to this. We DO have full versioning when you store in a RapidMiner Server. Simply right-click on any ExampleSet or Process in a RM Server Repo and you can access versioning capabilities:

As for standalone versioning in Studio, I simply keep my local repo on a mirrored cloud storage drive (I've used Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive - all work equally well) which of course have full versioning.

Hope this helps.

Scott

• JugiJugi RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 12 Contributor II
    This was flagged as implemented, even though the versioning is still quite limited. For example it is not possible to simply go back through time if you use more then one process. That could be solved by chaining individual version histories of the processes.
    And the capability of showing a diff of two versions was also mentioned in the original comment here but is not available as far as I know.
    hi @Jugi your points are definitely valid and in fact an improved versioning framework (perhaps similar to Git) is in the planning stages. It's a major revision of our repo structures so it will take some time. But rest assured it's coming...

Scotty