Help with RapidMiner Server Wizard

dmuraddmurad Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help

Hello, 

I am trying to run the rapidminer-server-installer script and go through the setup wizard to plug in my DB information. When I attempt to run the script (linux) it errors out: 

[root@XXXXXXXXX bin]# ./rapidminer-server-installer
No protocol specified
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'XXXXXXXXXX:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.rapidminer.server.installer.gui.tools.SwingTools.createImage(SwingTools.java:195)
at com.rapidminer.gui.look.Colors.<init>(Colors.java:238)
at com.rapidminer.gui.look.RapidLookAndFeel.<clinit>(RapidLookAndFeel.java:37)
at com.rapidminer.server.installer.Starter.main(Starter.java:36)

FYI - Before running the script I tried to set the display per my machines IP address. Could there be some network related issue blocking it or am I missing something ? 

Thank you, 

Danny

Tagged:

Best Answer

• dmuraddmurad Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
    Solution Accepted

Hello, I have found a resolution. See below from my internal notes: 

FYI - This is on a vm, not physical. 

• The RapidMiner.sh script requires X11 window server in order to run.

Configure Xming

Click on the Start button in Windows, select Xming → Xming (this will start your xserver) 

Configure PuTTY

Start PuTTY.

In the PuTTY Configuration section, on the left panel, select Connection → SSH → X11

On the right panel, click on the Enable X11 forwarding checkbox

Set the X display location as :0.0

Now connect to the vm an navigate to rapidminer directory

You will now need to set the Display by running:

export DISPLAY=localhost:10.0

Thanks for your help. 

FYI - I also got an error on the license entry for RapidMiner Server saying Invalid Version... I hope it doesn't have to do with changing to RapidMiner 7.1 ? 

Thanks Danny.

Answers

• bhupendra_patilbhupendra_patil Administrator, Employee, Member Posts: 168 RM Data Scientist

HI Danny,

What operating system are you using?

Does it have GUI or is headless only?

if it doesnot have a GUI you will need to use the headless install steps as mentioned here

http://docs.rapidminer.com/server/installation/headless_install.html

You can create the settings xml file on a regular GUI based computer, but following the steps mentioned here

http://docs.rapidminer.com/server/installation/index.html#step-4

Let us know if this works for you.

Hello,

OS details below: 

CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
    NAME="CentOS Linux"
    VERSION="7 (Core)"
    ID="centos"
    ID_LIKE="rhel fedora"
    VERSION_ID="7"
    PRETTY_NAME="CentOS Linux 7 (Core)"
    ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:centos:centos:7"
    HOME_URL="https://www.centos.org/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.centos.org/"

CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT="CentOS-7"
    CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT_VERSION="7"
    REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="centos"
    REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7"

We used GUI before for the prerequisite rapid miner studio. Same issue all over again, X11 display not set. I used my IP address and set display, failed. I also set the IP address as the hostname and that failed as well. Same X11 display not set. I used the DNS name of host machine to no avail. I currently have .bat and .sh installer scripts: 

bin]# ls -l
    total 12
    -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 5438 Oct 23 2015 rapidminer-server-installer
    -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 2815 Oct 23 2015 rapidminer-server-installer.bat
    [root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx bin]#

I will try the XML script and advise further. If you see anything with the infromation I provided above or any additional questions I can answer for you please let me know. Thank you for the reply. 

Danny. 

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering

Hi,

unless you provide the XML configuration file as an arg on startup (./rapidminer-server-installer <file_name>.xml), the UI will try to start. which obviously will not work if no UI is available.

Regards,

Marco

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn

I always use SSH X forwarding to the server.

If you have a Linux desktop box (or an X server on Windows like Xming or mobaxterm, and the server is configured to allow SSH forwarding, you can use it, too.

From the client, just

ssh -X servername

into the server. The graphical installation will appear on your local workstation.

Hello, 

I have run the installer with the argument you mentioned. It looks like my Oracle JDBC driver is not correct. My DBA provided an Oracle 12c DB. 

[root@xxxxxxxx bin]# ./rapidminer-server-installer rapidminer-server-installer-2.5.2.xml
    Jun 01, 2016 11:51:36 AM com.rapidminer.server.installer.install.Installer getInstallerRootDirectory
    INFO: Installation directory is: /usr/share/rapidminer-server/rapidminer-server-installer-2.5.2
    Configuration file is not a valid RapidMiner Server installer configuration file! DB Driver path invalid: /usr/share/rapidminer-server/rapidminer-server-installer-2.5.2/data/jdbc/ojdbc7-12.1.0.1.jar
    [root@xxxxx bin]#

The path I provided in the xml file, I am thinking the JAR is the issue: /usr/share/rapidminer-server/rapidminer-server-installer-2.5.2/data/jdbc/ojdbc7-12.1.0.1.jar

Do we need to provide the ojdbc7.jar file instead ? If so, I can download from Oracle and advise further. Please let me know. 

Thank you, 

Danny. 

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering

Hi,

two things:

1) You are using RM Server 2.5.2 which is already out of date. If possible, I would suggest using RM Server 7.1 instead. (obviously you'd need Studio 7.1 then as well). If that is not an option, I would definetly suggest to use 2.5.3 because of an important bugfix in that version. See http://docs.rapidminer.com/server/releases/7.1/ for all version patch notes.

2) The exact error you are getting is because the driver jar cannot be found at that location (or that exact name depicts a folder).

Are you sure the exact path is correct and the file is there? Could it be a permission problem that for some reason the installer cannot access that folder?

The error has nothing to do with the actual functionality of the JDBC driver though, that is not verified at that point.

Regards,

Marco