"MS Azure Marketplace VM image config, service not running?"

paal_spaal_s Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
edited June 2019 in Help

Hi,

I'm setting up my first instance (trial) of RapidMiner Server, and have done so by loading the RapidMiner Server image for Virtual Machines on the Microsoft Azure Marketplace. This seems to come with all the network settings preconfigured.

I can now connect to the VM through SSH, but I'm stuck on the guide provided (https://docs.rapidminer.com/server/installation/cloud_images.html) at the bottom, final numbered list on point 1, which reads "Using a browser connect to the virtual machine's port 8080. (e.g. http://public.ip:8080)".

I've tried connecting to the server (replacing with my Public IP for the VM), but get the error "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED".

I'm thinking the service might not be running on the VM, so opened and SSH connection to the VM (following this guide), locating the file 'standalone.sh' and trying to execute that. Returns error "command not found".

Not quite sure what I'm missing - how exactly do I get access to the web instance of RapidMiner server, or ensure that the service is running on the VM?

Thanks for any feedback!

P.

Best Answer

• jpuentejpuente Employee, Member Posts: 53 RM Product Management
    Solution Accepted

Hi,

I don't see anything wrong in your setting. The process is running and the firewall is ok. I guess you are using the correct url, just in case, make sure to use the public ip, like here
     Capture.PNG

It should be

http://52.236.91.69:8080

It works for me immediately. Maybe also check how much memory your VM has. If it's under 2Gb, it could fail. 

Answers

Hi Paal,

The most probable reason is the Azure firewall. When you create your new VM, in step 3 (Settings-Configure optional features), you need to configure a Network security group (firewall). It should look like this:

image.png

Make sure that the 8080 port is included as above. Then, once the VM is deployed, you should be able to connect to it using the public ip and :8080 as you said.

If you want to check that the process is running, you can connect using ssh as you did and run:

ps -ef | grep rmserver

A long line with the process should be printed. If nothing is, then let us know, because the process should be started automatically. You might start the process yourself typing:

/opt/rmserver/bin/standalone.sh

That's the folder where the starting script is in the VMs.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you can connect.

Jesús

• paal_spaal_s Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

Hi Jesús,

thanks for your reply and recommendations!

These are the default firewall settings which came in the preconfigured package

firewall.PNG

Running the process listing you provided returns this:

[rmadmin@RapidMinerVM1 ~]$ ps -ef | grep rmserver
    root 1271 1 0 09:30 ? 00:00:13 java -DAPP_HOME=/opt/rmserver/ radoop-proxy -classpath /opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/li b/radoop-proxy-1.1.0.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/sockslib-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT. jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/httpclient-4.5.2.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-pro xy/lib/curator-framework-3.3.0.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/slf4j-api-1.7. 12.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/log4j-core-2.4.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-pr oxy/lib/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.4.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/guava-19.0.jar:/ opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/jsr305-3.0.0.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/ht tpcore-4.4.4.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/commons-logging-1.2.jar:/opt/rms erver/radoop-proxy/lib/commons-codec-1.9.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/nett y-3.10.5.Final.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/curator-client-3.3.0.jar:/opt rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/log4j-api-2.4.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/zooke eper-3.5.1-alpha.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/commons-cli-1.2.jar:/opt/rms erver/radoop-proxy/lib/javacc-5.0.jar:/opt/rmserver/radoop-proxy/lib/log4j-1.2.1 6.jar eu.radoop.proxy.SocksServer start
    rmadmin 33269 33191 0 16:36 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto rmserver

I still can't see any issues with the installation - does any of the provided pieces here give any hints to what might be wrong?

Best,

Paal

By the way, if it still fails, please upload this file here:
    /opt/rmserver/standalone/log/server.log

• paal_spaal_s Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

I upgraded the CPU and RAM on the VM, and that did the trick.

Thank you very much for following up and getting this fixed!

P.