RM Server Process to backup Server?

Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Help

Alright, this is a "I'm lazy and I want to see if someone in the Community already does this...and if they can share an example" type of post.

Does anyone have a RapidMiner Process that will do a database backup dump of the RapidMiner Server? I want to cron daily backup dumps from RM Server of the RM Server. Maybe @BalazsBarany has a process handy?

Tagged:

Answers

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn

Hi Tom,

very much depends on your underlying database, if you want to make a complete backup of RapidMiner Server.

However, we find it convenient to make backups of the repository only. Just to be sure...

Therefore we use a simple process iterating over the repository and copying anything into a local one. Interested? Of course you will need to get the Jackhammer extension in order ot access processes as objects in a process.

Greetings,

Sebastian

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn

Hi @Thomas_Ott!

@land is right, the backup process depends on the database.

I use "automysqlbackup" and "autopostgresqlbackup" (Debian package names) on my Linux hosts with the respective databases. If you're not a database expert, these are fine. They automatically create daily/weekly/monthly rotated database dumps.

Relational databases need to be backed up using the vendor's suggested methods in order to get consistent database backups. Simply copying the database files will lead to inconsistent/broken backups. (Unless you're able to get a consistent snapshot of your file system.)

Regards,

Balázs

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@land, thanks for that tip!

@BalazsBarany I'm running postgres for my RM Server. When I migrate it to a Linux box, I'll use those packages. Thanks!