Update Rapidminer Server on AWS

felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II
edited April 2020 in Help

Dear Rapidminer Community, 

a while ago I have set up Rapidminer Server 8.1. on AWS and now is the first time there is an Update to Server 8.2. My question is, how can I update Rapidminer Server on AWS? Maybe this is a really stupid question but honestly I have only very little knowledge about servers and I couldn't find any documents on how to do this?

Any help is appreciated. :) 

Best regards 

Felix

Tagged:

Answers

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

Sadly, updating RapidMiner Server is a painful manual process under the current architetcure.  Hopefully it is something the development team will eventually enhance in a future release, or maybe even deploy a nice "update Server" wizard or utility.  It used to be that you could simply replace the JAR file within the same major release version, but with the new job agent structure that is no longer a working method.  

In the meantime, you basically follow the steps in the normal Server installation guide, found here:

https://docs.rapidminer.com/latest/server/installation/ 

Put the new server version in a different directory on your instance on AWS.  When you get to the step for connecting to the RapidMiner Server database, you should then be able to connect to the same RapidMiner Server database as already existed under the prior version (probably stored locally on the same AWS instance).  This should enable you to keep your existing users and repository.

You will however need to copy all your extra extensions into the new server directory and the new default job agent queue.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

agreed @Telcontar120 and acknowledged that a "wizard" would be very, very nice.

One recommendation to make things a bit (?) easier is to run the database part on RDS and have the EC2 instance only be the RM server. This way when you re-launch a new RM Server, your database remains constant and separate. RDS also has very good backup and versioning capabilities etc.

Scott

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

@sgenzer I've toyed with the idea of putting the RapidMiner Server database on another RDS instance, but I have been worried about latency or delays.  I believe @BalazsBarany has cautioned about this in other Server threads before.

I regularly use analytical databases on other machines but I've never tried it with the "internal" Server db.  Have you set it up this way and had good experiences with that configuration before?

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II

Ouch, that sounds like a pain in the a** :manwink:

But thank you for your replies! 

Best regards

Felix

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

so @Telcontar120 when I did it, I was not looking for a real high-performance, low-latency set up. If it took an extra 100 milliseconds, I really did not care. I would be curious to see an apples-for-apples comparison, though. My gut instinct is that the latency is probably very low.

@felix_w it's not as bad as you think :) Setting up a MySQL database in AWS RDS is stupidly simple. The only tricky part is making sure that the RDS and the EC2 are in the same "virtual private cloud" so they can talk to either other. I think I even did a KB post on this...I will check.

Scott

aha I found it (thank you Google Drive). It's a draft KB article...seems I never published it. :) It's written for Version 7.2 but I see no reason why it would not work now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vVDLsEBqWiSCk2hVy640ilfiZiirBQNDgGv5uEVltEM/edit?usp=sharing

Scott

• felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II

Hi Scott, 

thank you very much for the detailed tutorial!!

I will try it out asap!

Best regards

Felix