app migration from one RM Server to another

sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
edited November 2018 in Help

Hi all -

I wish to migrate my data, processes, and apps from one RM Server to another.  The data and processes migrate fine, but I cannot get the apps to migrate.  What I did was 1) create a full RM Server repository dump; 2) In RM Studio, create a new local repository with that dump as the folder; 3) opened the new RM Server repository from within RM Server, and 4) copied the files over.  Once the apps did not work, I tried direct uploading the apps to the server via the web interface (did not work).  I can see from the dump that the apps are simply XML but I cannot find a way to paste the XML into an app in the same way I can do with a process in RM Studio.  Help?

Scott

Tagged:

Best Answer

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

Hi Scott,

if you want to migrate an entire server, I would strongly recommend to make a DB backup of the underlying database and restore that entirely on the new server.

Copying the repository alone might not be sufficient as not everything will be stored in the repository and the local repository is not able to capture all features of the server one.

What is stored in the repository:

- Processes

- Data

- WebApp Definition

- Branding

What is not stored in the repository:

- The realm (possible types of variables) that is used in WebApps

- Which branding is used

What is usually lost when copying over a local repository is the file type of server specific objects like branding, color schemes, web apps...

So even if you restore the file type after copying manually by adjusting the mime type and/or opening the object in the web interface and save it again, then our web apps still will be missing the realm! Before you can open a WebApp without loosing all variables, you need to restore the realm. Manually, to be precise, as there are currently no automatic means to copy it!

The best practice of having just one standard realm with String, Real, Integer, Boolean and 3 Date variables eases this a bit. 

Greetings,

Sebastian

Answers

• JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn

Slightly off topic as normally I upload the app from RM Studio and it recognises it.  

Actually you can paste the XML in with RapidMiner Server. 

You can go into the repository entry for the app, click edit and use the text editor for the XML. 

I don't know if it will migrate a full app, as they have a large number of unique ID references which might not be in your new RM Server, but I have used it for editing and duplicating elements directly for speed. 

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

Much appreciated, Sebastian.  Ugh.  This will need to wait for another day.  I think my temporary fix is to run two versions of RM Studio on my computer: 7.1 to talk with the server, and 7.3+ for my day-to-day use.   Perhaps someday we will be able to use a 7.3 Studio with a 7.1 Server?

BTW check out http://www.genzerconsulting.com/atanga-public-beta if you have not already done so.  :)

Scott