interested in an AWS installation of Server 7.x

Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
edited September 2020 in Help

I am interested in setting up a RapidMiner Server on AWS using the free license version available for v 7.x and connecting to a MySQL database.  Has anyone attempted this yet?  I found some old posts from several years ago, but they all appeared to be using RapidMiner Server v5.  It also looks like the MySQL driver has to be installed separately (why not bundle this in with the basic server package??). @Thomas_Ott perhaps you have done something in this vein?

It would be very nice if there was an AMI # available for a quick and easy install that included the basic Server setup for a small Linux AWS machine.  @zprekopcsak perhaps an idea for the RapidMiner server team to create one, if they are trying to promote adoption of the Server product as part of proof of concept projects?  That would enable people to get up and running very quickly!

Brian T.
Lindon Ventures 
Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts

Best Answer

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

So I went ahead and did this on my own.  There isn't an AMI for RapidMiner Server (yet), but there is a detailed walkthrough of the process of installing it on AWS available in my guest blog post that RapidMiner was nice enough to host.  If other commuity members are interested they can find the details here: https://rapidminer.com/installing-rapidminer-server-aws/

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Hey @Telcontar120, the non-bundled MySQL driver was left out because of liscensing issues. You can use it, you can download it, but we can't include it as part of the download. As far as putting Server on AWS, I haven't dont it yet, but it can be done. Soon!

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

this is excellent.  Thank you.  I too run RapidMiner Server on AWS EC2 (see my new public beta: http://www.genzerconsulting.com/atanga-public-beta).  A RapidMiner Server AMI would be nice; what would be NICER would be the ability to automatically update RapidMiner Server without a lot of work on the command line - perhaps similar to RapidMiner Studio?  Right now I am running RM Server 7.1 and am loathe to upgrade due to the huge amount of effort involved.

Scott

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

Part 2 of my post is now available on the RapidMiner blog as well, which covers remote connecting to the AWS server and setting it up properly for the installation of RapidMiner Server.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures