CSVExampleSource and Numeric?

Stefan_EStefan_E Member Posts: 53 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,
I try to load a .csv file with lines as so:
through CSVExampleSource. The first column I declare as label. The rest gets converted to 'Nominal' instead of how I'd expect to Numeric.

I tried NominalNumbers2Numerical, but it does just nothing: the attributes stay nominal.

(I can work with ExampleSource - but what is CSVExampleSource good for then?)

Kind regards                      Stefan

Answers

• Stefan_EStefan_E Member Posts: 53 Maven
    ... same problem as in my other post on PCA: The dataset contained a line with all missing values except for the label. Once I remove this line, CSVExampleSource correctly recognizes the real values.

So, next time I'll print out my .csv files and read them in my leisure time before I give them to RM  :o

Stefan
  • martynsmartyns Member Posts: 15 Maven
    Another one that I have found happening to me recently is that excel/spss often format numbers in their thousands with
    1,234 for example.

This is a horrible thing to have happen when you save it as a csv!
  • steffensteffen Member Posts: 347 Maven
    Hello
    Stefan_E wrote:

So, next time I'll print out my .csv files and read them in my leisure time before I give them to RM  :o
    Just a remark: You can use RM as an ETL tool, but this is not its primary focus. For this task other tools are more suitable. Beside... I tried to work with Pentaho Kettle and even this tool (meant as ETL) has problems to handle any kind of corrupted data.
    martyns wrote:

Another one that I have found happening to me recently is that excel/spss often format numbers in their thousands with
    1,234 for example.
    I guess this is an adjustable option in excel ;)

regards,

Steffen
  • landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    just a short comment: If you get your files into excel, you simply might import it from the excel file directly. This way you come around the problems with separator and number formating.

Greetings,
      Sebastian