Options

Cases involving resource allocation

sebastian_gonzasebastian_gonza RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 52 Guru
edited December 2018 in Help

Hello,

I wanted to know if there is already a Case in rapidminer that involves the following problem:

I have 3 machines which are constantly moving between 5 locations, each one has a daily cost of use, a cost of transportation between each point and different delivery in hours per location, I would like to know which is the optimal machine allocation between locations in order to maximize hours of use and have the minimum cost, I have an idea in R with a function and maximize the function with restrictions, but I dont know If I do this in rapidminer?

Thank you

If there is an applied case that is close to this problem it would come very handy!

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist

Hi,

you could use Prescriptive Optimization for it. Would be a bit of creative usage though.

BR,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

Yes, this seems like more of a straightforward operations research constrained optimization problem.  You could probably repurpose RapidMiner to do something like this, but you may find an easier solution using a purpose-built solver for this type of problem (e.g., simplex method / linear programming).  There are many such tools out there, including some that are plug-ins for Excel, so a little bit of google searching should be a good starting point.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts