RapidMiner

Downloading Rapidminer older versions

SOLVED

Re: Downloading Rapidminer older versions

I understand the commercial reasons for moving Rapid Miner to a subscription model and providing a very limited version for personal use. However, by doing so, you have locked enthusiasts and potential developers from the product. I have created models based on version 6.0+ that will not now work on version 7.0+. Also, some good rapid miner books were written for 6.0+ and 7.0+, like the other forum poster (Hassan), I too will look and find version 6.5 and have no intention to migrate version 7.0. I see no harm in you making these older versions available as other well known software companies do. The benefit to you, if not for purely monetary reasons, is the dividend of a committed community of enthusiasts who ‘spread the word’ for Rapid miner as mature data science tool for FREE!

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

hello @consultiapro - thank you for your message.  I am picking up this thread and just wanted to clarify a few things that were posted earlier.  Some things have changed over time...

1. Users are always welcome to use older versions of RapidMiner if they wish.  They are very easily accessed by logging into your RapidMiner account and going to your Downloads page.  At the bottom you will see something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.24.12 AM.png

Click on that menu at the bottom and download to your heart's content.

2. RapidMiner continues to honor its commitment to the open source community.  The entire core, including the most recent version 7.6.1, is openly available in GitHub for the world to use.  And the vast majority of RapidMiner users continue to be happy, productive users of the free license of our most recent versions of the software.

3. I would respectfully disagree that the free license version of RapidMiner 7.6.1 is "very limited".  You have full functionality of the entire software package.  The only real limitation is that you are restricted to 10,000 rows of data (that's a heck of a lot of rows), and if you refer a friend, you get an additional 10,000 rows and so on.  That's pretty generous.  Most of our users who are analyzing more than 20,000 rows of data and  are not in academia are either consultants (as I was) or working for a company directly; these users are the ones who should and are able to purchase licenses like I did.

4. I would love to learn more about the models you have created with RapidMiner 6.0+ that do not work with RapidMiner 7.0+ and help transfer these over if desired.  RapidMiner is pretty backwards-compatible although of course some operators have changed over the years.

5. Most importantly, please know that we very much appreciate ALL enthusiasts of RapidMiner and welcome your thoughts and opinions to help "spread the word."  I hope to continue to see you here in the community and will do the best I can to help you accomplish your data science projects.

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
RM Certified Expert
RM Certified Expert

If you're using RapidMiner to build models and get value you from it, share the love and buy a license.  Let's face it, it costs $ to build new extension and develop Studio (+ other RM products) to be better and better with each release. It's the standard time vs $ trade off and you do have options. If you don't want to spend the money then you an code all this in R and Python, if speed to market is important, then buying a license of RM makes sense.