Handle error message "Too few examples"

felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II
edited December 2018 in Help

Dear Rapidminer Community, 

I have divided my process in several sub-processes and implemented in those processes are several filters. Those filters filter certain values in a certain time frame (e.g. 01.01.2015 - 20.04.2015). Sometimes the filters do not deliver any value, which triggers the error message "Too few examples". As this information is not important for me, I would like to "catch" this error message and the process should jump to the next sub-process(!) without any message/interruption. Is this possible to do? I would like to catch all of these error messages and simply let the process run until the end. 

I hope it is clear what I want to do ;)

Best regards

Felix

Tagged:

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @felix_w - yes I think I understand but can you post your process so we can see?

Scott

• felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II

Hi Scott, 

unfortunately I can't post it online because it is work related and contains sensitive data.  

I don't know if it is useful but I have attached a picture of what the process looks like. 

What I would like to do is that if there is an error in 2015 the process should jump to the next sub process according to my order (e.g. to 2016), if in 2016 there is again an error the process should jump to 2017 and so on.. 

Best regards

Felix

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hi @felix_w,

the operator you search for is Handle Exception.

Best,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany

Hi Martin, 

thank you for your reply! I am not sure though if understand this operator correctly. 

I have the option "Try" and "Catch" but what if both my "try" and my "catch" delivers an error? Furthermore, if I have more than two options, do I need to build a highly nested operator? With e.g. 5 "handle exceptions" in one "handle exception" operator, like a very complicated if-clause? 

Best regards

Felix

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @felix_w so if you are dealing with so many different situations, you could consider creating a good "condition" (using RegEx or similar) in a Select Subprocess operator.

Scott

Hi Scott, 

ok, I will try both ways with either a nested handle exception operator or maybe the select subprocess way. 

Best regards

Felix

• kypexinkypexin Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 291 Unicorn

Hi @felix_w

I have the option "Try" and "Catch" but what if both my "try" and my "catch" delivers an error? 

I think you can avoid this situation if you chain few 'Handle Exception' operators together, and each of those handlers will contain only 'Try' section as on the screenshot:

Screenshot 2018-04-02 15.40.25.png

This way, you execute the subprocess in 'Try' section and deliver results to the output port, and in case of any exception, just pass data through to the next handler without doing anything, and so on.