Importing Exasol Data

M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn
edited November 2018 in Help

Would be grateful for any suggestions as to how to connect Ra[idMiner to an Exasol 6.0 installation.  Exasaol provides a JDBC driver, but it appears to not be implemented with a jar file. I have found a jar odbc driver for Exasol 5.0 but it appears not to work with Exasol 6.0.  The Exasol JDBC provides an interface to the ODBC Manager within Windows, but I cannot get RapidMiner to use this driver to connect ot my Exasol instance.  Thanks for any suggestions.  Best wishes, Michael

Best Answer

• M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

The problem was with the schema separator when I set up the Exasol jdbc driver within RapidMiner.  The schema separator should be a colon - not a forward slash.  See the two attached files which can hopefully serve as a template for anyone else wanting to configure a jdbc connection to an Exasol Schema within Rapid Miner.  The Exasol jdbc driver is installed within the EXA Solution directory within Program Files (x86).  The Exasol jdbc driver set up program does not tell you where the driver is installed. 

Answers

• M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn

I've done some research re: configuring a data connectrion to an Exasol Scehma.  When you install the Exasol jdbc driver on a Windows system, the jar file is installed in two locations within the EXASolution directory within Program Files (x86).  EXA Soltuion is the client program you use to connect to your Exasol instance.  The two .png files show the setup screen of the Exasol odbc driver within RapidMiner, and the configuration for a Data Connection to my Exasol instance (using the jdbc driver).  When I test the connection, I get an "Invalid character..." error message.  Would be grateful for any suggestions as to what the jdbc connection string should be.  Thanks, Michael.

• steven4320555steven4320555 Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

@M_Martin Thanks very much for finding out the solution, and sharing it. It works perfect! :)