Importing data from Analysis Service

ratheesanratheesan Member Posts: 68 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

Can we connect SQL Analysis Server from RM to access OLAP cube data .

Thanks
Ratheesan

Answers

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

directly connecting to OLAP cubes is currently not (yet) possible - although we are working on a new extension which would allow that. Up to now, you would have to extract the data you want to analyze and store them in one of the zillion formats which can directly read by RapidMiner.

By the way: I moved you post into the "Getting Started" board.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Kim_Berg_HansenKim_Berg_Hansen Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hiya

The answer to this post almost 5 years ago stated connecting to OLAP cubes is not yet possible, but an extension is being made.

Has such an extension been made or is it still work in progress or has it been dropped? I would very much like to get RapidMiner to connect to Sql Server Analysis Services cube  ;)

Regards
    Kim Berg Hansen
  • frasfras Member Posts: 93 Contributor II
    Hi Kim,

yes, this should be possible now without any extension only by using the operator "Read Database".
    The only thing you have to manage is to establish a database connection to a MS-SQL-Server via
    "Manage database connections" available from RapidMiner-Studio Menu toolbar (Tools).

Cheers,
    Frank
  • Kim_Berg_HansenKim_Berg_Hansen Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hi, Frank

Yes, I can connect to Microsoft SQL Server Database Engine and read our source and staging tables of our datawarehouse.

But I can't find any method to connect to Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) and read our OLAP cubes with the defined dimensions and facts.

We've put a lot of work into modeling the cubes in SSAS, defining dimension hierarchies and so on. Having to repeat all of that in Rapidminer seems like an awful lot of repeating and managing a duplicate model all over  :(

/Kim
  • aleksandra_kovaaleksandra_kova Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

Hi, have you sold this proplem with cube connection? We also have build our cube and successfully use it with Tableau.

• fatifati Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

how can we creat or connect  a cube with rapidminer ?

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Unless there is a specific extension, the only way for RM to connect to a "Cube" is connecting to the database that populates the cube. We CAN connect to QLIK and Tableau via our extensions.