Is it possible to loop over processes in a repository?

earmijoearmijo Member Posts: 270 Unicorn
edited November 2018 in Help

Let me give you the context of my question. I'm adapting Fabian Temme's (or Thomas Ott's? I wasn't clear) nice blog entry on Model Management.  

I have a collection of processes in a folder named "Algorithms". All of them are processes that take the same dataset and produce the same outputs (model, performance). 

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 12.14.10 PM.png

I would like to write another process that would loop over the repository of processes and execute them all. Currently my process looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 12.17.02 PM.png

I want to extend my example to 15-20 different processes with different parameters. Any chance I can loop thru them? I tried "Loop Repository" but couldn't make it work. 

Thanks in advance for any help,

\E

Best Answer

• kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

What if you create an example set (like an external csv or so), which has your process names as values, and you loop through that one? Using an extract macro you can then get the name of your process, and use that as an input to call your process. You could either call it directly or use it as a trigger in a branched process loop.

Not very elegant but it should do the job I believe.

Answers

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi \E,

looping over processes can only be done with a workaround. Unfortunately, there is no built-in solution for that.

The attached process works if you have the processes on a local filesystem - Not on RapidMiner Server.

Do not store the process in the folder you want to execute - otherwise you might run into issues.

Best,

Edin

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="7.5.001">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="6.0.002" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="concurrency:loop_files" compatibility="7.5.001" expanded="true" height="82" name="Loop Files" width="90" x="112" y="34">
    <parameter key="directory" value="C:\Users\EdinKlapic\.RapidMiner\repositories\Local Repository\Community\crawl web"/>
    <parameter key="filter_type" value="regex"/>
    <parameter key="filter_by_regex" value=".*\.rmp"/>
    <parameter key="enable_macros" value="true"/>
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="generate_macro" compatibility="7.5.001" expanded="true" height="82" name="Generate Macro" width="90" x="112" y="34">
    <list key="function_descriptions">
    <parameter key="file_name" value="replace(%{file_name},&quot;.rmp&quot;,&quot;&quot;)"/>
    </list>
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="productivity:execute_process" compatibility="7.5.001" expanded="true" height="82" name="Execute Process" width="90" x="246" y="34">
    <parameter key="process_location" value="crawl web/%{file_name}"/>
    <list key="macros"/>
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Generate Macro" from_port="through 1" to_op="Execute Process" to_port="input 1"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_file object" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_output 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_output 2" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Loop Files" from_port="output 1" to_port="result 1"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>
  • bhupendra_patilbhupendra_patil Administrator, Employee, Member Posts: 168 RM Data Scientist

to make it easier what @kayman suggested, you can use some operators from operator toolbox extension , please explore the "create exampleset" -- here you can add a list of process you want to execute

Also there are operators to set parameters using exampleset, set macros using exampleset,

• earmijoearmijo Member Posts: 270 Unicorn

Kayman, Edin, Bhupendra:

All of your suggestions work perfectly. Thank you very much for your time. 

Regards,

\E