Loading Financial Data into Rapidminer

felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II
edited December 2018 in Help

Dear Rapidminer Community, 

I went through some posts in the forum looking for a convenient way to load financial data (mainly stocks and indices) but I think there are only workarounds which work in some cases but nothing in general? The operators Yahoo Stock Data, Yahoo Historical Stock Data don't work? Or have I configured them wrongly?  Also the workarounds from Scott and Thomas only work partly?

As most of these posts are almost a year old, I wanted to ask if there was already something new? An operator which allows to load financial data? Or any new (more convenient) workarounds to load data into Rapidminer? 

Best regards

Felix

https://community.rapidminer.com/t5/RapidMiner-Studio-Knowledge-Base/Real-Time-Financial-Data-via-Alpha-Venture-API-alternative-to/ta-p/41119

https://community.rapidminer.com/t5/RapidMiner-Studio-Forum/Downloading-historical-financial-data-since-change-of-Yahoo-API/m-p/39145#M26819

Tagged:

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@felix_w The Fin/Econ extension is dead and probably won't ever be updated again. Yes, there are some non-elegant workarounds but I think @sgenzer posted something about using Quandl. Have a search for that.

• hughesfleming68hughesfleming68 Member Posts: 323 Unicorn

In my opinion, the best way is to use R Execute. Lookup the libraries Quantmod and QuantTools which can also connect you to IQFeed if you need tick data. Quandl is also easy to set up. You may need to familiarize yourself with data frames and Posix dates and that is about it.

Rapidminer + R is a formidable combination for financial analysis.

Alex

• felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II

Thank you for your replies! I will go with the easy version first and try to use quandl as I am not very familiar with R.

Best regards

Felix

• luc_bartkowskiluc_bartkowski Member Posts: 46 Maven

I use Alpha Vantage. They offer a simple web-based API. They offer also live data.

A working daily data example RapidMiner process is available here Real-Time-Financial-Data-via-Alpha-Vantage-API

This RapidMiner model could be extended to intraday by extending the pivoting in the RM process. Intraday data includes an extra field (intraday timestep e.g. 15min, 10min, 5min, etc.) that has to be included in the process.