Loop Repository with dates in it throws a Process failed message

felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II
edited September 2019 in Help

Dear Rapidminer Community, 

I came across a strange problem today, which I hope you can help me with.

I have ~200 datasets which I wanted to join beneath each other with "Append". The datasets include three colums which have dates in the format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm in them. 

I tried to build a loop (Loop Repository) which goes through my repository and lists the data beneath each other. I used the same loop I have used previously, although the previous data didn't contain any dates. However, when I tried to loop the data I got this error message and I don't kError Message.PNGnow how to handle it. 

The strange thing is that I only get this message when I used the loop? When I simply retrieve the data and use the append operator it works fine and the data is listed below each other. 

Does anybody know how I can fix this problem? Because I would definitely be better to do this with a loop instead of using ~200 retrieve operators ^^ 

Best regards

Felix

Best Answer

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Solution Accepted

hello @felix_w - welcome to the community.  Yes that is a common error message.  I have a strong hunch that when you test it with Append, your date attributes are all "Date" in the same format.  But when you Loop, there is one (or more?) example set that is NOT this way - hence kicking that error message.  It only takes one out of 200 to do this.

Suggestion: try using the "Handle Exceptions" operator and some Log or Macro operators to debug so you can find out exactly which example set is causing the problem.

Scott

Answers

• felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I will try it like this! 

When I find the corrupted file, how can I handle it from that on? Should I fix the file manually? 

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

so you can fix the file manually if this is a "one-off" kind of project - that's usually faster.  If this is something that you'll be doing again and again, I would create some kind of error fixing on the "catch" side of Handle Exception to fix the broken file.

Scott

• felix_wfelix_w Member Posts: 61 Contributor II

I have solved my problem now a little bit differently and I wanted to let somebody know in case somebody is having a similar problem. As I am a Rapidminer noob I wasn't able to configure the "handle exceptions" operator accordingly and did it a little bit different. I started to connect one file after the other to the append operator and was looking for an error message, which luckily appeared pretty soon. Thats how I found out about the corrupted file. And yes, there was only one tiny detail which changed my attribute type to polynomial instead of date. I fixed that manually and now my loop works just fine :) 

Anyway, thank you very much Scott for your support! 

that works too.  :)  Well done, @felix_w.

Scott