Rapid Miner Studio 8.1 Beta

M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn
edited January 2020 in Help

Hi RapidMiner and Colleagues: i have started working with the beta of RapidMiner Studio 8.1 beta.  Is there a seperate forum area for discussions related to the beta?  Please advise.  Thanks and best wishes, Michael Martin

Tagged:

Best Answer

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Solution Accepted

this is it now!  :)

Scott

Answers

• M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn

Thanks, Scott.  Much appreciated, will post a message soon.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi RapidMiner & Colleagues:

Have spent some time with the 8.1 beta of Studio.  The new operators (Explain Predictions, Model Simulator, etc.) are very interesting and promise to be quite useful!  

I have run into what looks to be a fairly serious useability issue related to the UI - at least on my MacBook which is running Windows 7 under Bootcamp.  I am having the same problem on an iMac which is also running Windows 7 under Bootcamp.  Woul;d be very curious to know if anyone is running into this problem with their hardware.  I have run several versions of RapidMiner Studio on the same hardware without the issue described immediately below.

Whenever I right click on a process within the repositiory in order to open it, the contect menu either does not come up, and if it does come up, it takes a long time to appear.  After it appears, I cannot click on the process to open it - instead, the video simply freezes (see screen shot "RM_8_1_Beta_Right_Click_In_Repository_To_Open_A_Process_Nr_1.jpg).   I can go to the File Menu and select Open Process, but I get video lock up as well (see screen shot "RM_8_1_Beta_Right_Click_In_Repository_To_Open_A_Process_Nr_2.jpg).

The only way I can get video to respond and refresh is to exit RapidMiner and open it again.  At least on my system, this is a serious useability issue.  Once RapidMiner starts again, I am able to use the startup dialog box that comes up to either open a recently used process or use the startup dialouge to navigate through the repository and open a process.

I have a question about the Explain Predictions operator - please see screen shot "Explain_Predictions_and_Model_Simulators_Operators.jpg".  The viz port of Explain Predictions delivers a really usefull crosstab as a heat map that shows the roles various attributes play in the resultant prediction.  Is there a way to convert this viz (see screenshot "Explain_Predictions_Crosstab_Viz.jpg) into a dataset while preserving the cross tabulation?  This would be a huge win in communicating findings to stakeholders as the resultant dataset can be easily re-purposed for presentation.  What I have done is to write the example set provided by the Explain Predictions operator to a database, but this then requires a string parsing exercise to come up with a clean tabular listing of attributes and their contribution to a given prediction.

Please see the screenshot "Model_Simulator_Confidence_Distribution.jpg".  I am clear as to the meaning of a Confidence Level of a prediction, and have read several articles on what a Confidence Distribution is.  I am not totally clear as to the meaning of the confidence distribution viz in the screen shot: specifically what is the Y axis measuring?  Any explanation as to the intended meaning of this viz would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for considering the above, and best wishes,

Michael Martin

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder

Hi Michael,

I cannot comment on the context menu issue and will leave this to others then.

> Is there a way to convert this viz (see screenshot "Explain_Predictions_Crosstab_Viz.jpg) into a dataset while preserving the cross tabulation? 

Not right now but there will be.  We just finished this feature which will be part of the final 8.1 release.  This was really a great idea BTW!

> I am not totally clear as to the meaning of the confidence distribution viz in the screen shot: specifically what is the Y axis measuring?  Any explanation as to the intended meaning of this viz would be greatly appreciated.

This chart shows the distribution of all confidence values of the model after it was applied to the provided test set.  This can give you insight if a confidence of 80% is actually something which is common or not.  In my opinion this is of limited use in many cases but sometimes you see some surprising patterns in those confidence distributions.

Hope that helps,

Ingo

Friday

Thanks, Ingo for your reply, and good to know that a viz to dataset transformation will ultimately be incorporated into the Explain Predictions operator.  

As per my question re: the Confidence Distribution, am I correct in assuming that the Y axis represents the number of cases in the data that correspond to a given Confidence Level specified along the X axis?

MfG, Michael ;-)

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering

Hi Michael,

thank you for your detailed feedback! The GUI becoming broken after right-clicking a process in the repository has been identified and fixed.

Regards,

Marco

Monday

Thanks, Marco!  Appreciate the update.  Any chance of me getting another build somehow as I would like to keep working with the beta whenever time permits.

Best wishes, 

Michael ;-)

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder

Hi Michael,

> the Confidence Distribution, am I correct in assuming that the Y axis represents the number of cases in the data that correspond to a given Confidence Level specified along the X axis?

Yes, this is correct.

Cheers,
    Ingo

Vielen dank, Ingo!

MfG,

Michael

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering

Hi Michael,

we have updated the available downloads on the Beta page. They now download the 8.1.0 Release Candidate :)

Cheers,

Marco

Thursday

Good afternoon,  Marco:

Thanks for letting me know about the availability of the 8.1 Release Candidate - much appreciated!   I'll download it ASAP.

Best wishes,

Michael ;-)