Rapidminer Studio 64bit and 32bit hand on GUI plugin

alekseyaleksey Member Posts: 5 Contributor I
edited July 2019 in Help

Tried software on two different Win10 Pro x64 machines and had the same issue after the first run rapidminer hangs on GUI plugin loading during initial splash screen.

Added no plugins, the only things added are JDBC drivers for Redshift which are just jar files. 

Even when .jar files are loaded it also gives a read error asking for "lean version"

Any help on either issue?

Tagged:

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Hmm, is the the current version of RM you're trying out (v 7.6)?

• alekseyaleksey Member Posts: 5 Contributor I

Yes version 7.6

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

Hi @aleksey - I would re-download and not load those .jar files yet.  Just run the normal RM 7.6 first to ensure that you are indeed up and running.  If you are hanging on the splash screen, my hunch is that one of those .jar files is causing the problem.

Scott

It works without the files. But it is imperative for us to connect this software to redshift in Amazon web services. So unless there is another way the jdbc connection requires those jar files.
  • Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn
    I'm AFK but there is somewhere some documentation on connecting Redshift with RapidMiner
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

ok @aleksey I'm glad your RapidMiner is running, albeit without those .jar files.  Some thoughts for you:

- I have not connected RapidMiner to Redshift but I have connected it to normal AWS RDS (MySQL) with no major issues.  You need to set the IAM correctly on the AWS side and provide access via a VPC with external ports, etc...  There are no additional .jar files to use; the standard RapidMiner mysql connector works perfectly.

- A couple of years ago I needed to connect RapidMiner to a FileMaker database and there was no jdbc driver pre-installed in RapidMiner.  I just dropped the driver (in .jar format) into the jdbc folder of RapidMiner studio (RapidMiner -> Contents -> Resources -> RapidMiner-Studio -> lib -> jdbc) and restarted.  I see no reason why this would not work for other database drivers.  Note that you do NOT put the driver in the .RapidMiner folder with extensions, etc...  Perhaps this is what you were doing and hence why it crashed on the splash screen?

Please try and let us know how it goes.

Scott

I think the issue is that we had the files in both the lib jdbc area and in the extensions area. Will try only having the file in the jdbc folder and report back with my findings.

Does not seem to have worked with the file only in jdbc directory.

• JessForbesRMJessForbesRM RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 38 RM Data Scientist

Hello,

It seems like you may have some corrupted local files.  Lets try saving off your .rapidminer folder from inside your user folder as .rapidminer.old

When you do this rapidminer studio will rebuild some config files.