Secure Website Certificate Expired - How to workaround?

Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Help

This is an interesting problem and was wondering if the Community has come across this situation and how the solved it.

I'm scraping a website that has a URL beginning with https://. It worked just fine until today when the website's security certificate expired. Now the scraping returns no results. If I changed the URL to http://, then I get 301 Moved Permanently responses.  This might all clear up in a day or two if the website renews their certificate, but for my knowledge (and the Community's), is there a work around this problem?

I can't share the XML but @sgenzer can probably guess what this is related too.

Best Answer

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

Hi!

Resetting your computer's clock by a few days might work if it's only the client that checks the certificate validity.

Regards,

Balázs

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

yeah I have a hunch what you're referring to :) Unfortunately I don't have any ideas at the moment...

Scott

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Thanks @BalazsBarany, I will try that as I expect this to resolve itself in a few days.

@sgenzer I think I know what you are referring to what I referred to! :)

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Yep, that worked @BalazsBarany! Fingers crossed that the certificate gets renewed in the next couple of days.

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

The clock trick is pretty clever.  I have had this problem myself in the past and I had never figured out a solution.  As you said, most responsible domain owners will eventually update their certificates...

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts