Select Attributes by reading a file?

hughesfleming68hughesfleming68 Member Posts: 323 Unicorn
edited November 2018 in Help

I don't think there is a way to do this so I am wondering how difficult this might be to do with some scripting or even an extension. I have an external application that generates inputs and then does some of its own feature selection which I can write to a text file.

In Rapidminer, I have all the attributes and a select attribute operator but no way to drive that selection without manually chosing which attributes I would like to use. What I would like to do is read a list and tell the select attibute operator to use those attributes.

Is there another way to approach this that I might have missed?

Kind regards,

Alex

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Can you use the Reg Ex function from the Select Attributes operator? For example, if you want to read only attributes starting with RT, then it could be RT.*?

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

If you can create a dataset of the attribute names (using the text file from the other program) then you should be able to use it with Loop Examples and use a macro to grab those names one example at a time and feed them into another Loop Attributes to select the attributes one at a time and then put them all back together again with joins.  I think that would do what you want (although there may certainly be a more elegant solution out there!).

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • hughesfleming68hughesfleming68 Member Posts: 323 Unicorn

Thanks to both Thomas and Brian,

I will play around with both options and see how things work. There is always something new to learn. This is an amazing forum.

Kind regards,

Alex