Splunk operator not working

adamfadamf Member Posts: 34 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Help

Hello,

I am trying to read data from a local Splunk server using the new Splunk operator in RapidMiner Studio.  I have verified that I can conect to and access the Splunk server outside of RapidMiner from my browser (i.e., I know my login credentials are good, connectivity is fine, etc.).  But, when I try to run a simple process in Studio that uses the Splunk operator, I receive the following error message:

“Splunk Connection Failure: Error connecting to the Splunk server: No appropriate protocol (protocol is disabled or cipher suites are inappropriate).”

Any help would be appreciated!

Tagged:

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering

Hi,

We released Splunk Extension version 8.2.0 today, which improves a few things and should also fix this issue.

Regards,

Marco

• adamfadamf Member Posts: 34 Contributor I

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the response and update.  I downloaded and installed the new Splunk connector.  Unfortunately, I am getting a new/different error (see attached screen shot).  Can you help me troubleshoot?

Regards,

Adam

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@adamf to get someone's attention on the threads, use the '@' and their name. Threads get buried quickly here. 

• jczogallajczogalla Employee, Member Posts: 144 RM Engineering

HI @adamf,

sorry that the thread got burried. Can you provide your studio log file please? From the screenshot alone I would think that there is some network problem (firewall, bad connection...), but the log file might clear this up. Also, which Splunk server version are you using?

Cheers

Jan

Hello @jczogal,

Attached is the RapidMiner Studio log file. 

I am using Splunk v7.0.2, build 03bbabbd5c0f.

- Adam

Hi @adamf,

I first thought it might be related to the TLS protocols used, I'm not actually sure if that is the case here. Can you maybe also share your process/the splunk query that causes the issue? If you just set the query to "*" and the limit parameter to 10, are there any results or the same error? We are already looking into some issue where some queries don't work.

Cheers

Jan

Hi Jan,

Same error, even with your suggested query.  Screen shot attached.

- Adam

Hi Jan,

I found the problem.  Totally "user error".  I made a mistake with the port number when I set up the connection to the server.  I am sorry to have made you invest any cycles trying to troubleshoot!

Regards,

- Adam

Hi Adam,

no problem. :) As I said, we are investigating some other failing queries anyway. But I'm glad that it is working now for you.

Cheers

Jan