non-dominating sort for optimize selection(Evolutionary)

qudgnssayqudgnssay Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Help
hello rapidminer

I now use feature selection as Optimize selection (Evolutionary).

I wonder how the non-dominating sort method is selected during the selection scheme method.

I want a non-dominating sort description.

Can I get a referances for a non-dominating sort?

Best Answer

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Solution Accepted

Hi,

Good choice!  I personally think that MO feature selection is severely underrated but consistently delivers great results.  You need to do a couple of things in RapidMiner to get this working:

1. The operator Optimize Selection (Evolutionary) is used as the outer wrapper.
    2. The parameter "selection scheme" needs to be set to "non dominated sorting".  If you do not see this parameter, active the expert parameters at the bottom of the parameter panel.
    3. The population size typically needs to be increased.  I recommend a number between 10% and 40% of the number of features you have.
    4. I also recommend to activate the parameter "show population plotter" and set the number of plot generations to 1 (i.e. each generation is plotted).  This way you can see the pareto front during the optimization run.
    5. The number of generations might need to be increased.  This depends on how much the pareto front moves or not towards the end of the optimization run (see last point).
    6. The cross-validation (or any other validation scheme inside the feature selection) should use a local random seed (i.e. the splits are always the same).  If you do not do this, the random effects of your splits will be big enough to make a stable pareto front impossible.
    7. You should define exactly one performance criterion.  The easiest way to do this is not to use the standard Performance operator, but one of the specific ones like "Performance (Classification)" and only pick one measurement, e.g. "accuracy".
    8. Finally, you feed the performance coming out of the cross validation into another operator called "Performance (Attribute Count)".  For classification or regression tasks, the optimization direction of this should be minimum.  For clustering, it should be maximum.  Yes, you read correctly.  With this approach you can actually do feature selection also for unsupervised learning!

This is a lot of things to consider but it is totally worth it.  I have attached a simple sample process below.  You can copy the XML into RapidMiner by following the instructions here: http://community.rapidminer.com/t5/RapidMiner-Studio-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-share-processes-without-RapidMiner-Server/ta-p/37047

Finally, if you want to learn more about this topic, I recommend some of my research papers, especially my PhD: http://www-ai.cs.uni-dortmund.de/auto?self=%24Publication_fz5hgy8b

Hope this helps,

Ingo

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="7.5.003">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="7.5.003" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="7.5.003" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Sonar" width="90" x="45" y="34">
    <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Sonar"/>
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="optimize_selection_evolutionary" compatibility="7.5.003" expanded="true" height="103" name="Optimize Selection (Evolutionary)" width="90" x="179" y="34">
    <parameter key="population_size" value="20"/>
    <parameter key="maximum_number_of_generations" value="50"/>
    <parameter key="show_population_plotter" value="true"/>
    <parameter key="plot_generations" value="1"/>
    <parameter key="selection_scheme" value="non dominated sorting"/>
    <parameter key="keep_best_individual" value="true"/>
    <operator activated="true" class="concurrency:cross_validation" compatibility="7.5.003" expanded="true" height="145" name="Cross Validation" width="90" x="45" y="34">
    <parameter key="number_of_folds" value="5"/>
    <parameter key="use_local_random_seed" value="true"/>
    <parameter key="local_random_seed" value="1993"/>
    <operator activated="true" class="linear_regression" compatibility="7.5.003" expanded="true" height="103" name="Linear Regression" width="90" x="45" y="34">
    <parameter key="feature_selection" value="none"/>
    </operator>
    <connect from_port="training set" to_op="Linear Regression" to_port="training set"/>
    <connect from_op="Linear Regression" from_port="model" to_port="model"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_training set" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_model" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_through 1" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    <operator activated="true" class="apply_model" compatibility="7.5.003" expanded="true" height="82" name="Apply Model" width="90" x="45" y="34">
    <list key="application_parameters"/>
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="performance_classification" compatibility="7.5.003" expanded="true" height="82" name="Performance" width="90" x="179" y="34">
    <list key="class_weights"/>
    </operator>
    <connect from_port="model" to_op="Apply Model" to_port="model"/>
    <connect from_port="test set" to_op="Apply Model" to_port="unlabelled data"/>
    <connect from_op="Apply Model" from_port="labelled data" to_op="Performance" to_port="labelled data"/>
    <connect from_op="Performance" from_port="performance" to_port="performance 1"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_model" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_test set" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_through 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_test set results" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_performance 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_performance 2" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="performance_attribute_count" compatibility="7.5.003" expanded="true" height="82" name="Performance (2)" width="90" x="179" y="34"/>
    <connect from_port="example set" to_op="Cross Validation" to_port="example set"/>
    <connect from_op="Cross Validation" from_port="example set" to_op="Performance (2)" to_port="example set"/>
    <connect from_op="Cross Validation" from_port="performance 1" to_op="Performance (2)" to_port="performance"/>
    <connect from_op="Performance (2)" from_port="performance" to_port="performance"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_example set" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_through 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_performance" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Retrieve Sonar" from_port="output" to_op="Optimize Selection (Evolutionary)" to_port="example set in"/>
    <connect from_op="Optimize Selection (Evolutionary)" from_port="example set out" to_port="result 1"/>
    <connect from_op="Optimize Selection (Evolutionary)" from_port="weights" to_port="result 2"/>
    <connect from_op="Optimize Selection (Evolutionary)" from_port="performance" to_port="result 3"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 3" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 4" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>