Silent install - License

SMSSMS Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

Hello

Is there a way to silently install the license key?  

If it has to be performed manually, once done, is there a registry or some preference/configuration file that can be copied to target computers?

Looking at silently deploying to school lab computers.

Thank you

Best Answers

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Solution Accepted

Hi,

I must admit that I did not try it myself but I think this is indeed possible by copying the license content as a file into the folder

C:\Users\<username>\.RapidMiner\licenses\rapidminer-studio

on Windows (or the similar user directory on other OS).  What I don't know though is if the license file name needs to have a special form.  Maybe somebody from the engineering team can chime in as well...

Cheers,

Ingo

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Solution Accepted

Hi,

sounds fine :)

The cipher.key is auto-generated and that should stay that way, otherwise everyone has the same encryption key.

The license file names are human-readable to describe what they contain - but RapidMiner-Studio couldn't care less how they are named as long as they end in .lic

Regards,

Marco

Answers

• SMSSMS Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for the tip on .rapidminer folder and contents.  Huge help in figuring out.  

After running some tests, 

• Once I copy over the .lic file in ....RapidMiner\licenses\rapidminer-studio directory - I am no longer prompted for an account login or serial.
    • The eula.properties if copied over to .RapidMiner directory - no longer prompts the EULA
    • The updatecheck.date if copied over to .RapidMiner directory - no longer prompts a "new version is available" - not sure if after certain number of days or whatever interval has passed if this will no longer work, but it gets around it for the time being.

Rapidminer appears to start up fine, but am wondering about the cipher.key - the rapidminer-studio.txt shows it is looking for it on startup.  Not sure if it matters or not, since it gets recreated anyway.  

I'll leave this open till next week if someone else can validate if this is a working solution....hopefully your engineering team as you suggested.

Thanks again Ingo!

• SMSSMS Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

Hi Marco,

Thanks for verifying.

Cheers