Options

"Initialization failure in Linux Tomcat"

dongwookshindongwookshin Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited May 2019 in Help
I am trying to make Rapidminer work in Linux version of Tomcat. I managed to make it work in Windows Tomcat by using binary training file instead of text one. But in Linux when I started Tomcat, it crashed with the following error message.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Load JDBC drivers from classpath: false
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Load plugins: false
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Load plugins from '/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps/SemMedNHLBI/rapidminer/lib/plugins'
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: ----------------------------------------------------
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Trying rcfile '/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps/SemMedNHLBI/rapidminer/etc/rapidminerrc'...skipped
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Trying rcfile '/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps/SemMedNHLBI/rapidminer/etc/rapidminerrc.Linux'...skipped
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Trying rcfile '/root/.rapidminer/4_3_0_rapidminerrc'...skipped
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Trying rcfile '/root/.rapidminer/4_3_0_rapidminerrc.Linux'...skipped
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Trying rcfile '/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/logs/rapidminerrc'...skipped
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Trying rcfile '/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/logs/rapidminerrc.Linux'...skipped
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Trying rapidminer.rcfile. Property not specified...skipped
G Dec 3, 2008 3:14:22 PM: Loading operators from 'operators.xml'.
X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used both RapidMinerCommandLine and RapidMiner to see if command line version might not invoke X connection, but I got the same message. Do you know any way to get around for this? I'd like not to use any GUI related stuff. I looked the build.xml if I could rebild the rapidminer.jar, but had no idea so far.

Thanks,
Dongwook

Answers

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Dongwook,
    we will take a look, why this error appears. But so far we didn't have problems with the command line version of rapidMiner and the X Server. Perhabs the problem results from the tomcat, we didn't try to start rapidminer with tomcat, yet. Why do you try to start it with tomcat?

We will keep you informed.

Greetings,
    Ā  Sebastian
  • Options
    homburghomburg Moderator, Employee, Member Posts: 114 RM Data Scientist
    Hi Dongwook.

Starting RapidMiner using the non-GUI script named "rapidminer" should not cause RapidMiner to acquire any X resources. Nevertheless the Tomcat server sometimes tries to connect to a certain display port as defined by the DISPLAY variable. There are usually two options to avoid this behaviour:

1. Try to call unset DISPLAY before you start the Tomcat server. This normally ensures that Tomcat runs in headless mode.

2. If, for some purposes, you need a DISPLAY variable set, try to run Tomcat/Java using the option -Djava.awt.headless=true in order to run server and java processes in headless mode.

Hope, this helps you to solve your problem.

Best regards,
    Ā  Helge
  • Options
    dongwookshindongwookshin Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Helge:

It works by calling "unset DISPLAY" before invoking Linux Tomcat.

Thanks a lot,
    Dongwook