RM 4.2 on OS X

Legacy UserLegacy User Member Posts: 0 Newbie
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi!

I'm having trouble starting Rapidminer on OS X 10.5.
Tried it with several commands, i get this message every time:
xception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:675)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374)
I hope someone can give me feedback on this.

Answers

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

it seems that you do not use the appropriate Java version. The non-Windows package of RapidMiner (....zip) needs at least Java 5 or higher. You can download and install the latest Java version from Sun.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    I've installed the newest version! This bug only appears with 4.2, 4.1b is working well.
  • IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

did you try to use Java 6? It is now (finally!) available for Mac and probably will resolve your problems.

Cheers,
    Ingo
    Yes, Java 6 is installed on both Macs (my Macbook Pro and the imac)

Do I have to start RM with a special console command, in order to use the new JAVA Version?

Thanks
    Johannes
    I FINALLY solved the problem!
    One should mention that Rapidminer requires Java 6 in order to function with OS 10.5 / 10.4! It is NOT  compatible with Java 5 aka 1.5xxx

So:

1. Download the newest JAVA Version from Apple.com (google for JAVA OS X)
    2. Install
    3. Search for JAVA Properties in Spotlight
    4. Change the order of the elements in the bottom like shown on the picture.

Thanks for sending this in. Basically, it would also work with Java 5 but it seems that the last compilation was done with Java 6 (we internally switched to Java 6 already). Sorry for the inconvenience. We will update the mark on our web site.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • browndarbrowndar Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    I actually have a constraint that has me needing to use 1.5 still.  I just build the rapidminer jar from source with 1.5 and it worked out well.  Of course it may be problematic in the future if any 1.6 specific code makes its way in.
    We actually do currently not plan to switch to Java 6 (although we use it internally). As you said, RapidMiner can be compiled with Java 5 and Java 6 specific code is only used via reflection at one or two places - for that reason, we deliver the Windows version together with Java 6.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • dbeksdbeks Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    Hi everyone and especially browndar,

is it possible that you provide me the with Java 1.5 built rapidminer.jar? Maybe you can provide a download link?
    Thank you very much in advance.

dbeks
    Could you be more specific on how to set the Java properties on a MAC 10.5?

Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Hello,

I'd like to echo Joe's question above -- how can one install RM 4.2 on Mac OSX 10.4.11? I have Java 1.5.0 installed, but double clicking on lib/rapidminer.jar does not launch the program. When I try to run that file from Terminal using java -jar lib/rapidminer.jar, I get the following errors:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
            at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
            at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
            at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)
    Any idea why this might be happening? Thanks very much in advance.

Sorry for the double post, I see this was answered in the Linux thread. Is there any alternative to downloading Java 6, which isn't available for non-Intel apples?
    Hi Jason,

currently the only alternative is to download and build RapidMiner yourself from the CVS version (it's actually quite easy by using Eclipse and is described in detail on our web site). The next release (4.3) will again be delivered based on Java 5 but it will take some weeks for some final tuning before we will do this release.

Cheers,
    Ingo