Write Tableau Extract error

bobpeersbobpeers Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

Hi,

after upgrading to RM 7.2 I'm trying to use the Tableau Data Writer but it fails every time with this stack trace

Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
Message: Could not initialize class com.tableausoftware.DataExtract.Collation
Stack trace:
com.rapidminer.extension.tableau.operator.io.TableauWriter.extractData(TableauWriter.java:127)
com.rapidminer.extension.tableau.operator.io.TableauWriter.write(TableauWriter.java:77)
com.rapidminer.extension.tableau.operator.io.TableauWriter.write(TableauWriter.java:36)
com.rapidminer.operator.io.AbstractWriter.doWork(AbstractWriter.java:68)
com.rapidminer.operator.Operator.execute(Operator.java:1021)
com.rapidminer.operator.execution.SimpleUnitExecutor.execute(SimpleUnitExecutor.java:76)
com.rapidminer.operator.ExecutionUnit.execute(ExecutionUnit.java:798)
com.rapidminer.operator.OperatorChain.doWork(OperatorChain.java:392)
com.rapidminer.operator.Operator.execute(Operator.java:1021)
com.rapidminer.Process.run(Process.java:1179)
com.rapidminer.Process.run(Process.java:1081)
com.rapidminer.Process.run(Process.java:1034)
com.rapidminer.Process.run(Process.java:1029)
com.rapidminer.Process.run(Process.java:1019)
com.rapidminer.gui.ProcessThread.run(ProcessThread.java:65)

I've downloaded the Tableau Extract API (64 bit, same as RM) and extracted it to disk. I've also added the \bin to my PATH so it should be working but does not.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• bobpeersbobpeers Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Solution Accepted

Hi,

I have fixed this issue myself. It's because you can add the path to the \bin folder in either user or system environment PATHs, you must add it to the system PATH as adding only to the user PATH does not work. I think the documentation should be updated to point this out.

best regards,

Bob

Answers

• bhupendra_patilbhupendra_patil Administrator, Employee, Member Posts: 168 RM Data Scientist

Hello @bobpeers

Apoligies for the inconvenience, we are looking it now and will get back to you shortly.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention

• bhupendra_patilbhupendra_patil Administrator, Employee, Member Posts: 168 RM Data Scientist

Hello @bobpeers

Can you check if you had the Tableau API downloaded from here http://www.tableau.com/data-extract-api

and not the new Tableau SDK

• bobpeersbobpeers Member Posts: 3 Contributor I

Hi,

I downloaded and indstalled the Tableau Data Extract API from the Tableau website and added the path to the bin folder to my path as shown in the images. I get the error shown in the screenshot.

thanks,

BobClipboard02.jpgClipboard03.jpgClipboard01.jpg

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering

Hi,

good idea! Consider it done ;)

Regards,

Marco

• firdausfirdaus Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

hi, i have the same problem. i followed your instuction already but it didn't work. please help me.

• victor_loh95victor_loh95 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

Same here, din't work for me too..tried the solution mentioned above still it dint works..

The frustration though lol

• rasras Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

I also cannot get Tableau Writer to work after following instructions exactly. Says there are missing Tableau DLLs

• RayJhongRayJhong RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 11 Contributor II

Done, thank you.

But still weird to know that cannot use Tableau SDK instead of Data Extract API, as i know, Data Extract API was duplicate to Tableau SDK.

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/extracting_TDE_API.html

• homburghomburg Moderator, Employee, Member Posts: 114 RM Data Scientist

You're right, this is exactly the situation right now. There were some changes made on the Tableau side when data extraction API has been moved to the new SDK package - some dll files are no longer included. We will see how this can be better supported in the future.
    Meanwhile please download the package applicable for your operation system from here

• 1032954110329541 Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

Thank you, Great idea and helped me resolved the same issue!