Options

access denied in release 7.200

BartNBartN Member Posts: 18 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help

In the new release 7.2.000 an error is thrown when a RM generated temporary file in my local tmp directory (imageio*.tmp) needs to be deleted. 

Exception: java.security.AccessControlException

Message: access denied ("java.io.FilePermission" "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\imageio5041030306454975619.tmp" "delete")

Stack trace:

java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:457)

This seems to be related to the Java SecurityManager, and something may not have been set properly in the java.policy file with this release.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Best Answer

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Solution Accepted

Hi Bart,

Thanks for letting us know.  I will let engineering and product management know about the fact the extension causes this problem.  This extension actually is no longer officially supported (you can tell which are the officially supported extensions by the new tag on the extensions web page, e.g. here: https://marketplace.rapidminer.com/UpdateServer/faces/product_details.xhtml?productId=rmx_text).  The Reporting Extension has been replaced by the now free reporting capabilities of RapidMiner Server but maybe we can still squeeze in a fix of the old extensions when we have some time.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ingo

Answers

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder

Hi,

We actually have been improving the security standards, especially around extensions. More information can be found here:

http://docs.rapidminer.com/developers/security/

So this could actually be desired behavior depending on the file location.  But just to be sure: was the operator which should delete this part of an extension? (and in general: which operator was causing this?)

Thanks,

Ingo

• Options
    BartNBartN Member Posts: 18 Maven

Dear Ingo,

The error is indeed generated by an operator from the Reporting Extension (version 5.3.0). 

Since this extension has does not meet the new security requirements, and does not use the java.io.tempdir, 

the only solution i found was to roll back to Studio version 7.1. 

Thanks,

Bart

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering

Hi,

this is interesting. All extensions have complete access to the temp directory returned by %TEMP% on Windows. So they should be perfectly capable of deleting in that directory. The only case I can imagine where this might go wrong if %TEMP% points to C:\temp instead of the "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp" folder.

I'd appreciate it if you could run "echo %TEMP%" in the commandline and tell me the result :)

Regards,

Marco

• Options
    BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn

Hi Ingo,

the Reporting extension is very useful on its own, also in addition to the Reporting capabilities of RM Server. 

For example, a lot of reportable objects like association rules can be exported with it in a machine-readable format.

Maybe you remember my MythMiner project, that also uses the Reporting extension. 

So if it's not too development intensive, it would be a great service for current users to make the extension run with the current version of RapidMiner Studio. 

Cheers,

Balázs

• Options

Hi Balazs,

Of course it is useful and I am not saying we will never support it (again).  I just find it fair and clear to point out that this particular extension is not as high on the roadmap than some other extensions which are just more frequently used, that's all.  In any case, this problem - like any other problem - will go through our product management process and won't be forgotten.  Or if somebody in the community wants to take ownership of this extension: I am sure this is fine as well...

And of course I do remember MythMiner - I am still LOVING this project :smileyvery-happy:

So please stay tuned on how things develop with the Reporting extension.

Cheers,

Ingo