Options

Import Data Problems

osknowsosknows Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello,

I've just completed a fresh re-install of Rapid Miner and am now having problems importing data. I've tried several data files of both Excel and CSV format using the Wizard. All is fine until I get to step 4, I select the path and filename.. the import process appears to start then keeps falling over with the same error (see below). The error appears to indicate 'Access Denied'. I've been running Rapidminer as administrator in W7 and also never had these problems before the re-install so am a bit perplexed. Any help would be gretaly appreciated

Thanks,
Os

Stack trace:
------------

Exception: com.rapidminer.repository.RepositoryException
Message: Cannot store data at 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\RP Numeric Data.ioo': java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\RP Numeric Data.ioo (Access is denied)
Stack trace:
  com.rapidminer.repository.local.SimpleIOObjectEntry.storeData(SimpleIOObjectEntry.java:136)
  com.rapidminer.repository.RepositoryManager.store(RepositoryManager.java:287)
  com.rapidminer.gui.tools.dialogs.wizards.dataimport.DataImportWizard$1.run(DataImportWizard.java:82)
  com.rapidminer.gui.tools.ProgressThread$2.run(ProgressThread.java:165)
  java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
  java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
  java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Cause:Exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException
Message: C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\RP Numeric Data.ioo (Access is denied)
Stack trace:
  java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
  java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
  java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:131)
  com.rapidminer.repository.local.SimpleIOObjectEntry.storeData(SimpleIOObjectEntry.java:130)
  com.rapidminer.repository.RepositoryManager.store(RepositoryManager.java:287)
  com.rapidminer.gui.tools.dialogs.wizards.dataimport.DataImportWizard$1.run(DataImportWizard.java:82)
  java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)

Answers

• Options
    SebastianLohSebastianLoh Member Posts: 99 Contributor II
    Hi osknows,

the error indicates that RM can not store the data in you repository at the location 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\RP Numeric Data.ioo'.

Try the following things:

- create a folder in this repository.
    - store some data in this repository using the "store" operator in a process.
    - try to import a cvs or excel file into a repository at another location, best somewhere in your user directory.

It does not seem to be a good idea to have your repository located in the Program Files folder. I am using windows 7 as an administrator too and for some reason I do not know, I do not have access to my Program Files folder (If I open the explorer I can see a Lock Icon on that folder too and if I try to access it, it say Access denied).

Hope this helps,

Ciao Sebastian

• Options
    nterzievnterziev Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    I experience a similar problem. It looks like RapidMiner is assuming that My Documents folder is on the C drive but in my case it is actually on the D drive. Looked at the settings but didn't find anything there, also tried updating the repositories.xml file to point to the correct folder but this did not seem to fix it. Also, uninstalled and then installed again RapidMiner to make sure I don't specify the wrong folder somewhere along the installation process but no, that's not it either.

Please, advice- any help is much appreaciated!

Pasting the error below:
    Exception: com.rapidminer.repository.RepositoryException
    Message: Cannot store data at 'C:\Documents and Settings\nterziev\My Documents\Work\Spock\SeatAVL.ioo': java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\nterziev\My Documents\Work\Spock\SeatAVL.ioo (The system cannot find the path specified)
    Stack trace:

com.rapidminer.repository.local.SimpleIOObjectEntry.storeData(SimpleIOObjectEntry.java:136)
      com.rapidminer.repository.local.SimpleFolder.createIOObjectEntry(SimpleFolder.java:131)
      com.rapidminer.repository.RepositoryManager.store(RepositoryManager.java:281)

Cause
    Exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException
    Message: C:\Documents and Settings\nterziev\My Documents\Work\Spock\SeatAVL.ioo (The system cannot find the path specified)
    Stack trace:

java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
      java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
      java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:131)
      com.rapidminer.repository.local.SimpleIOObjectEntry.storeData(SimpleIOObjectEntry.java:130)
      com.rapidminer.repository.local.SimpleFolder.createIOObjectEntry(SimpleFolder.java:131)
      com.rapidminer.repository.RepositoryManager.store(RepositoryManager.java:281)
  • Options
    Hi nterziev,

This did not help?
    Try the following things:

- try to import a cvs or excel file into a repository at another location, best somewhere in your user directory.
    Ciao Sebastian
  • Options
    WOW, this was a quick response.

Well, to be frank I am not sure what "a repository at another location" means and how to do it. Sorry, this is probably basic stuff but I'm a newbie with RapidMiner... What I know is that I've tried any way I saw available from the interface to import data and it always errs with this (or a similar) error message.
  • Options
    Hi nterziev,

I meant that you can create a new RM repository by clicking at the upper left icon in the reppository tab. There you can choose an arbitrary location on your file system for the new repository. This should allow you to write in that new repository if you have proper user rights for that location.

Does this make sense to you?

If you search for "repository" on this board you'll find also several threads regarding this. Eg.

http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,2555.0.html

Ciao Sebastian
  • Options
    Perfect! Muchos gracias!