Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Rapidminer not starting up

sruefersruefer Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

my Rapidminer 5 installation suddenly does not start up anymore. When clicking the icon (and also when starting as Administrator), the startup splash screen appears, notifying me that operators are being initialized. However, there is no further progress, and I have to terminate the application manually. Last time I run the application successfully was about 3-4 weeks ago.

I uninstalled and re-installed the entire program, but the problem persists. I am using Windows 7, 64bit.

Could there be a problem with the Java Runtime Environment? I had an error message once after terminating Rapidminer; I have the latest version (1.6) installed, there are no newer updates available.

Is there an error or startup log file somewhere that I can check? Or any other obvious things I am missing?

Thank you, kind regards,
Steffen

Answers

• TKTK Member Posts: 14 Contributor II
    Hi,

i got the same problem since the latest update. Its on a Windows XP Machine with Java 1.6.0.21.
  • IngoRMIngoRM Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

ok, this is severe and please guys help us to overcome this issue. May I ask some information:
    • Which type of system do you use (hardware)? The number of cores is probably important since we changed something related to this.
    • Steffen, did you make an update before the problems begun?
    • Do you use your own Java or the one delivered with the RapidMiner installation executable (in the jre directory of your RapidMiner installation)?
    • Do you have extensions installed? If yes, which ones?
    • Do you work behind a proxy? If yes: Is this proxy requiring authentication?
    • Please start RapidMiner in console mode (in the start menu, select "RapidMiner 5 (Console)" for starting RapidMiner. Logs will appear. Please send us the printed logs.
    Thanks for your help. I hope that we can detect and fix the problems soon.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • sruefersruefer Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Hi Ingo,

thank you for your help on that. Below my answers at best of my knowledge.

1) System Type

I am running a Sony Vaio Laptop (VGN-FW45MJ), it has a Dual Core Processor and is about 16 months old. I attached a system information screenshot for more details.

2) Updates

Yes, on the last successful startup of the application I was prompted for updates. However, I had not started the application as administrator, which cancelled the upgrade process. I did not try again as I decided to do that at a later time, so this update was not installed.

3) Java

I think Java was already installed for other applications at the time, but I am not 100% certain about that.

4) I installed most extensions, not sure which ones exactly, but I believe these ones:
        - R-Extension (although I did not yet install R and I got some messages concerning this on startup; I had decided to install R at a later time)
        - WEKA Extension
        - Text Extension (not sure)
        - PaREn Extension
        - Web Extension (not sure)
        - Series Extension

5) Proxy

I am not working behind a proxy.

6) I started in Console mode and the application behaved the same as before, i.e. not working. I attached the log.

Thanks again for your quick response and help.
    Best regards,

Steffen

It seems the image attachments do not work as I thought, I put the link of the image between the [img] tags (the link is on my computer desktop), is there another way to upload images?

Steffen
  • haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Greets Chaps!

I think I encountered the same rock, but coming from a different direction; what is more, being a bear of little brain I bumped into it so often that in the end I realised that I could turn it off and on. Weird? Read on...

I'm on XP64 and build extensions using Eclipse, and debug them on Vega; before updating to RM 5.1 these extensions were recognised in the Vega lib\plugins directory. Not any more. If on the other hand I put those in my regular RM 5.1 release there is no problem.

Now we come to the interesting bit, if I have
    rapidminer.init.plugins=true
    in my rapidminerrc file Vega crashes in the way described, and I get the following in Eclipse..
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Locale not specified explicitly. Set default locale to US. (RapidMiner.init())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 INFO: Property rapidminer.home is not set. Guessing. (Launcher.ensureRapidMinerHomeSet())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 INFO: Trying base directory of classes (build) 'C:\RapidMiner_Vega'...gotcha! (Launcher.ensureRapidMinerHomeSet())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Reading configuration resource com/rapidminer/resources/rapidminerrc. (ParameterService.loadAllRCFiles())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Neither system property 'rapidminer.config.dir' nor environment variable 'RAPIDMINER_CONFIG_DIR' not set. Ignored. (ParameterService.getGlobalConfigDir())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y\.RapidMiner5\5_0_8_rapidminerrc'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Read rcfile 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y\.RapidMiner5\5_0_8_rapidminerrc.Windows XP'. (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\RapidMiner_Vega\rapidminerrc'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\RapidMiner_Vega\rapidminerrc.Windows XP'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Property rapidminer.rcfile not specified...skipped (ParameterService.loadAllRCFiles())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Read extension state. (ManagedExtension.readConfiguration())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Plugin directory C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y\.RapidMiner5\managed\extensions.xml does not exist. (Plugin.findAndRegisterPlugins())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'Text Processing'. (RendererService.init())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_text-5.1.0.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/parserulesTextProcessing.xml (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'Web Mining'. (RendererService.init())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_web-5.0.4.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/parserulesWeb.xml (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'Series'. (RendererService.init())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_series-5.0.2.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/parserulesValueSeries.xml (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Loading operators from 'OperatorsCore.xml'. (OperatorService.registerOperators())
    2011-01-04 11:45:18 CONFIG: Loading operator documentation from file:/C:/RapidMiner_Vega/build/com/rapidminer/resources/i18n/OperatorsCoreDocumentation.xml. (OperatorDocBundle$XMLControl.newBundle())
    2011-01-04 11:45:19 WARNING: Password in XML file looks like unencrypted plain text. (ParameterTypePassword.decryptPassword())
    2011-01-04 11:45:20 CONFIG: Loading operators from 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y\.RapidMiner5\managed\rmx_text-5.1.0.jar'. (OperatorService.registerOperators())
    2011-01-04 11:45:20 CONFIG: Loading operator documentation from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_text-5.1.0.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/i18n/OperatorsDocTextProcessing.xml. (OperatorDocBundle$XMLControl.newBundle())
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.VerifyError: (class: com/rapidminer/operator/text/io/DocumentLoader, method: read signature: ()Lcom/rapidminer/operator/text/Document;) Incompatible argument to function
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
    at com.rapidminer.operator.OperatorDescription.<init>(OperatorDescription.java:89)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.parseOperators(OperatorService.java:282)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.parseOperators(OperatorService.java:279)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.parseOperators(OperatorService.java:279)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.parseOperators(OperatorService.java:255)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.registerOperators(OperatorService.java:229)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin.registerOperators(Plugin.java:430)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin.registerAllPluginOperators(Plugin.java:631)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.init(OperatorService.java:188)
    at com.rapidminer.RapidMiner.init(RapidMiner.java:402)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.run(RapidMinerGUI.java:211)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.launch(RapidMinerGUI.java:554)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.main(RapidMinerGUI.java:536)
    And if I have
    rapidminer.init.plugins=false
    instead Vega boots, but my extensions remain invisible. Hope that helps you track this down!

• IngoRMIngoRM Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

thanks for the information. Unfortunately, we had to remove the possibility to attach images here in the forum (which is a shame) due to security reasons. A simply option is to upload the image at tinypic:

http://tinypic.com/

The uploaded image can then be referenced in the [img] tag or you could just add in the URL you got there. Alternatively you could send us the image via mail at contact (a) rapid-i.com.

Cheers,
    Ingo
    Hi Haddock,

thanks for those information. We will have a developer meeting after lunch and will check what happens there...

Cheers,
    Ingo
    Hi Ingo,

I sent the images to the e-mail address you provided.

Best regards,
    Steffen
  • TKTK Member Posts: 14 Contributor II
    • Intel Pentium 4 Machine with Windows XP (guess its dual core, but i don´t know exactly
    • own pre-installed java 1.6.0.21
    • WEKA Extensions, TEXT-Mining Extension, Time Series Extension
    • behind a proxy
    • how to print the log? java -jar rapidminer.jar >log.txt doesn´t print the log
    Hi,

ok, we think that we can probably nail down the problem.

@TK: May I ask if you could just use "java -jar rapidminer.jar" and send us a screenshot of the error(s) which will probably pop up?

@All: We detected in the logs from Steffen, that he uses the latest Text Extension (Version 5.1) with an older RapidMiner core (Version 5.0.005). This new Text extension, however, relies on some methods of the latest RapidMiner and unfortunately stops the loading of RapidMiner completely (instead of silently continue, log the error, and simply not using the incompatible extension). We will fix this and also reactivate the version dependency mechanism of extensions which was already there but is currently not used by the update server (yet).

Ok, if this is true (TK, the logs would be great to make sure that this indeed is the cause of the problem), what can be done? Well, there are two options: @Haddock:
    It seems that this is a pretty related issue, namely that the methods has (slightly) changed between the RapidMiner version you has programmed your extension against and the latest version in Eclipse updated via SVN. Could this be? Or maybe there is an old version of your extension installed in your system (e.g. in the plugins dir or in your home dir)?

Hope that helps. Cheers,
    Ingo
    Hi,

I followed the advice and manually removed the Text Extension. However, this did not work and Rapidminer stopped like before during startup.

I had uninstalled and re-installed Rapidminer before, without that it helped, so I was uncertain if I should do it again or continue troubleshooting by removing further extensions. However, I finally uninstalled again, plus (what I omitted during the last uninstall) I deleted all installation folders (Programs\Rapid-I as well as .Rapidminer in the users directory). Afterwards, I installed again with the setup file, and now it is working again!

I also installed updates, but I omitted the Text extension for now. All appears to work again, so I guess the trick was to manually remove all folders and files manually after uninstalling.

Thanks again for your time and effort to track this down, much appreciated!
    Cheers
    Steffen
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting back on this.
    @Haddock:
    It seems that this is a pretty related issue, namely that the methods has (slightly) changed between the RapidMiner version you has programmed your extension against and the latest version in Eclipse updated via SVN. Could this be?
    That was not the case, but this morning I have again updated Vega via SVN, and rebuilt both Vega and the extension.
    Or maybe there is an old version of your extension installed in your system (e.g. in the plugins dir or in your home dir)?
    Furthermore I have checked my filesystem, to verify that I have only two copies of the rebuilt extension, one in the lib/plugins directory of Vega, the other in the lib/plugins directory of the RM 5.1 distribution.

The problem remains exactly as before, RM 5.1 picks up my extension but Vega does not.

However, if we are talking versions, what strikes me is that Vega is still reporting its version as  5.0.008, where it has been since July, even though the file extension_version.nsi has a last modification date of 18/12/10. Could this matter?
    Hi,

hmm, the version thing indeed sounds a bit weird. Ok, just to make sure I have sent this thread to our developers, let's see what they have to say about this.

Until then: cheers,
    Ingo
  • landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Haddock,

the version number of RapidMiner is taken from the class RapidMinerVersion. It is automatically built during release from the build.properties file. Since we do the release on the tags instead of the main branch, it can happen, that the main branch does not have the most current version number. To solve the issue, either edit the RapidMinerVersion class or alternatively edit build.properties and perform the ant target version.updateFiles.

So let's see if I understood this correctly: You have developed your own extension. This resides in lib/plugins of the installation directory of your development version inside eclipse as well as in the release version install dir?
    Additionally you have a text extension installed via update server.

So: If you remove your extension, does it start? This would mean, there's a problem inside your code.
    The error indicates that there is an illegal function call to DocumentLoader's read method. Have you used it anywhere in the code? Mightbe compiled against a modified RapidMiner Version? Or do you have another class with the same name in your extension and the class loader mess it up?

Greetings,
    Sebastian
    G'Day Seb,

Thanks for that, I've followed your suggestions and can eliminate my problem entirely by uninstalling the 5.1 Text Extension. My problem was that if rapidminer.init.plugins was enabled then Vega would crash on the splash screen, which was exactly the symptom that sruefer started this thread with. The Eclipse log tells the story...

2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Locale not specified explicitly. Set default locale to US. (RapidMiner.init())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 INFO: Property rapidminer.home is not set. Guessing. (Launcher.ensureRapidMinerHomeSet())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 INFO: Trying base directory of classes (build) 'C:\RapidMiner_Vega'...gotcha! (Launcher.ensureRapidMinerHomeSet())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Reading configuration resource com/rapidminer/resources/rapidminerrc. (ParameterService.loadAllRCFiles())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Neither system property 'rapidminer.config.dir' nor environment variable 'RAPIDMINER_CONFIG_DIR' not set. Ignored. (ParameterService.getGlobalConfigDir())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y\.RapidMiner5\5_0_8_rapidminerrc'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Read rcfile 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y\.RapidMiner5\5_0_8_rapidminerrc.Windows XP'. (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\RapidMiner_Vega\rapidminerrc'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\RapidMiner_Vega\rapidminerrc.Windows XP'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Property rapidminer.rcfile not specified...skipped (ParameterService.loadAllRCFiles())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Read extension state. (ManagedExtension.readConfiguration())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Plugin directory  does not exist. (Plugin.findAndRegisterPlugins())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'Text Processing'. (RendererService.init())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_text-5.1.0.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/parserulesTextProcessing.xml (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'Web Mining'. (RendererService.init())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_web-5.0.4.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/parserulesWeb.xml (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'Series'. (RendererService.init())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_series-5.0.2.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/parserulesValueSeries.xml (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Loading operators from 'OperatorsCore.xml'. (OperatorService.registerOperators())
    2011-01-06 10:48:42 CONFIG: Loading operator documentation from file:/C:/RapidMiner_Vega/build/com/rapidminer/resources/i18n/OperatorsCoreDocumentation.xml. (OperatorDocBundle$XMLControl.newBundle())
    2011-01-06 10:48:43 WARNING: Password in XML file looks like unencrypted plain text. (ParameterTypePassword.decryptPassword())
    2011-01-06 10:48:44 CONFIG: Loading operators from 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y\.RapidMiner5\managed\rmx_text-5.1.0.jar'. (OperatorService.registerOperators())
    2011-01-06 10:48:44 CONFIG: Loading operator documentation from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator.KNOWLEDG-P6715Y/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_text-5.1.0.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/i18n/OperatorsDocTextProcessing.xml. (OperatorDocBundle$XMLControl.newBundle())
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.VerifyError: (class: com/rapidminer/operator/text/io/DocumentLoader, method: read signature: ()Lcom/rapidminer/operator/text/Document;) Incompatible argument to function
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
    at com.rapidminer.operator.OperatorDescription.<init>(OperatorDescription.java:89)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.parseOperators(OperatorService.java:282)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.parseOperators(OperatorService.java:255)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.registerOperators(OperatorService.java:229)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin.registerOperators(Plugin.java:430)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin.registerAllPluginOperators(Plugin.java:631)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService.init(OperatorService.java:188)
    at com.rapidminer.RapidMiner.init(RapidMiner.java:402)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.run(RapidMinerGUI.java:211)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.launch(RapidMinerGUI.java:554)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.main(RapidMinerGUI.java:536)

Which is a great relief to me, as I like my extension ( it even has a Haddock icon  ;D ). But come to think of it, that icon only shows in the splash window during the plugin load of 5.1, and not in the splash window of Vega 5.0.008. As a dataminer I like coincidences so I can't help but notice that line 88 of Vega's  OperatorDescription.java contains the word 'icon'...I really must get out more!

• pathrospathros Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
    The same thing has happened to me and in several computers running on WinXP SP3.

When i was using Rapidminer 5.0, everything went perfect. But after upgrading to Rapidminer 5.1, then it became too slow.
    With another computer using Rapidminer 5.0, i just upgraded, for example, Text processing and other updates, except Rapidminer 5.1, it no longer started up!

I think the problem is in the updating processes.

Reinstalling the Rapidminer didn't work!

Maybe if i clear all the windows registers may get me back to Rapidminer 5.0 working as usual ...
    If you delete the install directory of Rapidminer after the uninstallation (Programs/Rapidminer), as well as the .Rapidminer folder in the user directory, then the new installation should work... it did for me.

Cheers
    Steffen
  • camoxcamox Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, with RM5.1, new installation.
    In my case it seems related to the R extension: if I set up the path to the jri library from rJava, everything works fine until the splash screen  prints a "Loading Icons" message, then RM crashes. Launching it from the console RM restarts every time it crashes, until I close the console manually (I attach an excerpt of the log below).

The only solution I found so far is disabling the R extension.

I tried with different versions of R (i tried 2.12-1, 2.12.0, and 2.11.1, which from another forum it came out to be likely the version used during the extension development) but it didn't solve the problem.
    I tried different settings of  the environment variables for Java,  first  to my JDK installation (1.6.0_22 and 1.6.0_23), then to the jre provided with RM 5.1.
    I made an attempt removing the other RM extensions I had installed (i.e., Parallel Processing, Weka Estension, Series Processing), leaving just the R extension,  but it didn't work.

My configuration is the following:

Microsoft Windws XP Professional version 2002 SP3
    AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00 Ghz, 4 GB Ram

Rapid miner 5.1
    Extensions:  Parallel Processing, Weka Extension, Series Processing, R Extension.
    All the software installed (RM, Java, R) is 32 bit version.

Thank you in advance for any advise.
    Cheers,
    -ec

--------------------------------------- Rapid Miner Log -------------------------------------------------------

[...]
    Starting RapidMiner from 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..' using
    classes from 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..\lib\rapidminer.ja
    r'...
    Jan 20, 2011 2:24:24 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher ensureRapidMinerHomeSet
    INFO: rapidminer.home is 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..'.
    Jan 20, 2011 2:24:25 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher main
    INFO: Launching RapidMiner, platform WIN32
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Locale not specified explicitly. Set default locale
    to US. (RapidMiner.init())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 INFO: rapidminer.home is 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMine
    r5\scripts\..'. (Launcher.ensureRapidMinerHomeSet())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Reading configuration resource com/rapidminer/resour
    ces/rapidminerrc. (ParameterService.loadAllRCFiles())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Neither system property 'rapidminer.config.dir' nor
    environment variable 'RAPIDMINER_CONFIG_DIR' not set. Ignored. (ParameterService
    .getGlobalConfigDir())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\Documents and Settings\camosel\.Ra
    pidMiner5\5_1_001_rapidminerrc'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Read rcfile 'C:\Documents and Settings\camosel\.Rapi
    dMiner5\5_1_001_rapidminerrc.Windows XP'. (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\
    rapidminerrc'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Trying rcfile 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\
    rapidminerrc.Windows XP'...skipped (ParameterService.loadRCFile())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Property rapidminer.rcfile not specified...skipped (
    ParameterService.loadAllRCFiles())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Read extension state. (ManagedExtension.readConfigur
    ation())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Scanning plugins in C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMi
    ner5\scripts\..\lib\plugins. (Plugin.findAndRegisterPlugins())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'Weka'. (RendererService.init
    ())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20an
    d%20Settings/camosel/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_weka-5.0.1.jar!/com/rapidminer/res
    ources/parserulesWekaExtension.xml (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'R Extension'. (RendererServi
    ce.init())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Documents%20an
    d%20Settings/camosel/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_r-5.1.0.jar!/com/rapidminer/resour
    ces/parserulesR.xml (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-20 14:24:26 CONFIG: Loading operators from 'OperatorsCore.xml'. (Operato
    rService.registerOperators())
    2011-01-20 14:24:27 CONFIG: Loading operator documentation from jar:file:/C:/Pro
    gram%20Files/Rapid-I/RapidMiner5/lib/rapidminer.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/i1
    8n/OperatorsCoreDocumentation.xml. (OperatorDocBundle$XMLControl.newBundle())
    2011-01-20 14:24:30 WARNING: Password in XML file looks like unencrypted plain t
    ext. (ParameterTypePassword.decryptPassword())
    2011-01-20 14:24:33 CONFIG: Loading operators from 'C:\Documents and Settings\ca
    mosel\.RapidMiner5\managed\rmx_parallel-5.0.1.jar'. (OperatorService.registerOpe
    rators())
    2011-01-20 14:24:33 CONFIG: Loading operator documentation from jar:file:/C:/Doc
    uments%20and%20Settings/camosel/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_parallel-5.0.1.jar!/com
    /rapidminer/resources/i18n/OperatorsDocParallel.xml. (OperatorDocBundle$XMLContr
    ol.newBundle())
    2011-01-20 14:24:33 CONFIG: Loading operators from 'C:\Documents and Settings\ca
    mosel\.RapidMiner5\managed\rmx_weka-5.0.1.jar'. (OperatorService.registerOperato
    rs())
    2011-01-20 14:24:33 CONFIG: Loading operator documentation from jar:file:/C:/Doc
    uments%20and%20Settings/camosel/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_weka-5.0.1.jar!/com/rap
    idminer/resources/i18n/OperatorsDocWekaExtension.xml. (OperatorDocBundle$XMLCont
    rol.newBundle())
    2011-01-20 14:24:33 CONFIG: Creating operators from factory com.rapidminer.tools
    .WekaOperatorFactory (OperatorService.parseOperators())
    2011-01-20 14:24:37 CONFIG: Loading operators from 'C:\Documents and Settings\ca
    mosel\.RapidMiner5\managed\rmx_r-5.1.0.jar'. (OperatorService.registerOperators(
    ))
    2011-01-20 14:24:37 CONFIG: Loading operator documentation from jar:file:/C:/Doc
    uments%20and%20Settings/camosel/.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_r-5.1.0.jar!/com/rapidm
    iner/resources/i18n/OperatorsDocR.xml. (OperatorDocBundle$XMLControl.newBundle()
    )
    2011-01-20 14:24:37 CONFIG: Creating operators from factory com.rapidminer.opera
    tor.r.ROperatorFactory (OperatorService.parseOperators())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Number of registered operator classes: 435; number o
    f registered operator descriptions: 580; number of replacements: 408 (OperatorSe
    rvice.init())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loading operator usage statistics. (UsageStatistics.
    load())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Reading parse rules from jar:file:/C:/Program%20File
    s/Rapid-I/RapidMiner5/lib/rapidminer.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/parserules.xm
    l (XMLImporter.importParseRules())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loading JDBC driver information from 'resource jdbc_
    properties.xml'. (DatabaseService.loadJDBCProperties())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loaded JDBC driver com.mysql.jdbc.Driver (JDBCProper
    ties.registerDrivers())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loaded JDBC driver org.postgresql.Driver (JDBCProper
    ties.registerDrivers())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loaded JDBC driver net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
    (JDBCProperties.registerDrivers())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loaded JDBC driver org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver (JDBCProper
    ties.registerDrivers())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 WARNING: Missing database driver class name for 'ODBC Bridge
    (e.g. Access)' (JDBCProperties.<init>())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loaded JDBC driver net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
    (JDBCProperties.registerDrivers())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loaded JDBC driver com.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver (JDB
    CProperties.registerDrivers())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 INFO: JDBC driver ca.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver not found. Pro
    bably the driver is not installed. (JDBCProperties.registerDrivers())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 INFO: JDBC driver oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver not found.
    Probably the driver is not installed. (JDBCProperties.registerDrivers())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Neither system property 'rapidminer.config.dir' nor
    environment variable 'RAPIDMINER_CONFIG_DIR' not set. Ignored. (ParameterService
    .getGlobalConfigDir())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Loading repositories from C:\Documents and Settings\
    camosel\.RapidMiner5\repositories.xml (RepositoryManager.load())
    2011-01-20 14:24:38 CONFIG: Adding repository NewLocalRepository (RepositoryMana
    ger.addRepository())
    2011-01-20 14:24:39 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'file:/C:/Program%20Files/Rap
    id-I/RapidMiner5/lib/rapidminer.jar!/com/rapidminer/resources/ioobjects.xml'. (R
    endererService.init())
    2011-01-20 14:24:39 CONFIG: Loading renderers from 'ioobjects.xml'. (RendererSer
    vice.init())
    2011-01-20 14:24:45 CONFIG: Loading perspectives. (ApplicationPerspectives.loadA
    ll())
    Starting RapidMiner from 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..' using
    classes from 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..\lib\rapidminer.ja
    r'...
    Jan 20, 2011 2:24:46 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher ensureRapidMinerHomeSet
    INFO: rapidminer.home is 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..'.
    Jan 20, 2011 2:24:46 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher main
    INFO: Launching RapidMiner, platform WIN32
    2011-01-20 14:24:48 CONFIG: Locale not specified explicitly. Set default locale
    to US. (RapidMiner.init())
    2011-01-20 14:24:48 INFO: rapidminer.home is 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMine
    r5\scripts\..'. (Launcher.ensureRapidMinerHomeSet())
    2011-01-20 14:24:48 CONFIG: Reading configuration resource com/rapidminer/resour
    ces/rapidminerrc. (ParameterService.loadAllRCFiles())
    2011-01-20 14:24:48 CONFIG: Neither system property 'rapidminer.config.dir' nor
    .getGlobalConfigDir()) [...]

Hi there!

I see that your error message overlaps with mine from Eclipse in the post above - for me the problem turned out to be the 5.1 text extension, nothing to do with R, which I don't use. Do you have that version installed?

• camoxcamox Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hi Haddock,

no, I haven't the test extension installed, just those I already listed: Parallel Processing (5.0.001), Weka Extension (5.0.001), Series Processing (5.0.002), R Extension (5.1.0).

Cheers,
    -ec

• pathrospathros Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
    Looks that the problem is when you install the text mining update.

I am using now Rapidminer 5.0.010 on winXP, i have only updated the following updates:
    Weka Extension 5.0.1
    Parallel procesing 5.0.1
    Reporting Extension 5.0.2
    Series Processing 5.0.2
    PMML 5.0.2
    Community 5.0.1
    PaRen 5.0.1

Until here, Rapidminer still works fine.

If i just install Text Processing, Rapidminer no longer runs.

I haven't tried with the Rapidminer 5.1.1 without the Text Processing. i'll tell you later.
  • PrachiPrachi Member Posts: 1 Learner III
    My rapidminer is suddenly not starting up. I used it two days back and it was working fine. But now when I click on the icon, it shows me the wait sign but does not open up after that. I have tried opening it several time but it doesnt work. Could you guide me on what to do?
  • robjwaresrobjwares Member Posts: 1 Learner III
    I'm having the same issue.
    When I click on the icon it just spins for a couple second and nothing happens.
    It was working before, plus other people are having the same issue.
    I will startup in rapidminer 5 (console) mode just fine and my users are ok with that for now but really like to find out why the desktop icon is not working.
    BTW I did uninstall it completely and reinstalled it, still no luck.
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,996 RM Engineering
    Hi,

RapidMiner Studio 6 will now tell you why the .exe is not starting up instead of silently failing.
    There were various problems with RapidMiner 5 .exe which have been fixed since then, I'm afraid there is not much you can do except start it up via the .bat file if the .exe is not working.

Nowadays, most of the time the reason for the .exe to fail is that not enough memory could be reserved, most often occuring on Windows 32bit.

Regards,
    Marco