Options

Read CSV ==> Default Seperator as comma?

dragoljubdragoljub Member Posts: 241 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Hey Guys,

I have been using RM for some time now and I just thought it would make sense that the Read CSV operator should be set default to a comma delimiter? Why is a semicolon used? Is it more prevalent in the data you have seen? Generally I only use tab delimited text files because they are easy to read.  :D

Just a though.  ;D

Thanks,
-Gagi

Answers

• Options
    steffensteffen Member Posts: 347 Maven
    Hello Gagi

Let's start a fight over it ;). I also prefer semicolons in my csvs. The problem is that here in germany the comma is used as decimal separator. Now one could start a discussion whether this default setting affects the acceptance of rapidminer on the e.g. american market.

Yay it's friday

steffen
  • Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

let's not start a war  ;)  Steffen has pointed out the correct reason. A couple of years ago I was fully convinced that, because of the fact that not only in Germany but also in many other European countries the comma is used as decimal separator, the semicolon actually was the standard delimiter of CSV files (which would have make CSV one of the biggest misnomers in history...). That's of course wrong and now we could make the standard separator country-dependent. But then again the processes are harder to exchange between users since the processes also would have to store the default locale settings. Urgh, maybe in a later version  ;)

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Options
    dragoljubdragoljub Member Posts: 241 Contributor II
    Now it makes perfect sense, although at the same time the default decimal character is set to '.', while the default delimiter is set to ';'  :P.

In any case this is no big deal just curious.  ;D

-Gagi