Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

"R console memory limits"

sbsb Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
edited May 2019 in Help
In using the R console, I get the following error  'Error: cannot allocate vector of size 412.8 Mb'.

Running memory.limit() gives 2048, and I am unable to increase it.

I am using 64 bit Windows, with R-64, and this limit is not there when I run R separately.

Is there some setting with the R addon that I should look into?

Thanks for any help.
-sb
Tagged:

Answers

• keithkeith Member Posts: 157 Maven
    Are you also running 64-bit RapidMiner (64 bit JVM)?
  • sbsb Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
    Yes, I am running 64 bit RapidMiner and JVM
    Thx.
    What happens when you try to increase the memory limit?  Are you getting a specific error message?

When I try running RM 64-bit with R 64-bit on XP64, I am able to increase the limit:

starting httpd help server ... done
    memory.limit()
    [1] 2047
    memory.limit(8192)
    [1] 8192
    Under Tools->Preferences->R, what is the setting "rapidminer.r.native lib" set to?  Mine is: C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.1\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll
  • sbsb Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
    It appears that this was a bug with R 2.11 - trying to increase memory.limit(xxxx) beyond 4095 gives an error.  Updated my R installation to 2.13, and it now allows me to increase the limit.

When I run R outside of RMiner, memory.limit() shows the full ram. But R from inside RMiner only shows 2048. Is there some installation parameter that I am missing?

Thx.
    Ah yes, in 2.11 there was a problem setting memory.limit higher than 4GB on Win x64.  I think the inability to set it higher is a JRI limitation, but including a memory.limit(8192) as the first line of your R script should bump up the memory just fine.  If it was possible to pass the command line option --max-mem-size upon starting up R (e.g. --max-mem-size=8G), that would also tell R to initially allocate more memory.