Options

"Generate Attributes operator: chars allowed in attribute names in expressions"

tennenrishintennenrishin Member Posts: 177 Contributor II
edited May 2019 in Help
Which special characters are allowed in attribute names in expressions in the Generate Attributes operator?
From my keyboard I have only been able to find '.', '$' and '_'. Are there any others?

(Background: The reason I am looking for permissible special characters is that I need to copy and paste expressions from another application where I am using the special characters to embed information/parameters into the attribute name.)

Isak

Answers

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

well, I am actually not 100% sure but from my experience that's pretty much it. I would actually not even use the "." if possible since this might cause problems in other operators using regular expressions for attribute names.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Options
    tennenrishintennenrishin Member Posts: 177 Contributor II
    Thanks Ingo.

I never thought about the potential issue with '.'. I use it to express hierarchical structure in the name.

Are you referring to operators such as Generate Aggregation, where the user specifies a regular expression for selecting attributes (in which case I can escape the '.' manually), or are there other issues beyond this to watch out for?

Thanks
    Isak