Options

"Data Import wizard crashes - Java NullPointerException"

schillsschills Member Posts: 16 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Hello,

Since updating to the newest version of Rapid miner (5.1.015) i have not been able to import and excel files into the repository using the import wizard. The following 3 different error message comes up:

Exception:    java.lang.NullPointerException
Stack trace:
  jxl.read.biff.SheetReader.read(SheetReader.java:971)
  jxl.read.biff.SheetImpl.readSheet(SheetImpl.java:657)
  jxl.read.biff.WorkbookParser.getSheet(WorkbookParser.java:251)

com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSet.<init>(ExcelResultSet.java:102)

com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSetConfiguration.makeDataResultSet(ExcelResultSetConfiguration.java:217)

com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSetConfiguration.makePreviewTableModel(ExcelResultSetConfiguration.java:224)

com.rapidminer.operator.nio.AnnotationDeclarationWizardStep$1.run(AnnotationDeclarationWizardStep.java:68)
  com.rapidminer.gui.tools.ProgressThread$2.run(ProgressThread.java:176)
  java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
  java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
  java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Exception: common.AssertionFailed
Stack trace:

common.Assert.verify(Assert.java:51)
  jxl.read.biff.SharedStringFormulaRecord.<init>(SharedStringFormulaRecord.java:96)
  jxl.read.biff.FormulaRecord.<init>(FormulaRecord.java:97)
  jxl.read.biff.SheetReader.read(SheetReader.java:589)
  jxl.read.biff.SheetImpl.readSheet(SheetImpl.java:657)
  jxl.read.biff.WorkbookParser.getSheet(WorkbookParser.java:251)
  com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSet.<init>(ExcelResultSet.java:102)
  com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSetConfiguration.makeDataResultSet(ExcelResultSetConfiguration.java:217)
  com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSetConfiguration.makePreviewTableModel(ExcelResultSetConfiguration.java:224)
  com.rapidminer.operator.nio.AnnotationDeclarationWizardStep$1.run(AnnotationDeclarationWizardStep.java:68)

Exception: com.rapidminer.operator.UserError
Message: Could not read file 'C:\Users\Schills\Documents\NBA 2011.12\January12\Sun1st\OU\BOS@WAS OU.xls': spreadsheet seems to be empty.
Stack trace:

com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSet.<init>(ExcelResultSet.java:135)

I was using an older version of Rapid miner and everything worked fine, but since i have updated to the newest version i have had this problem! Nothing else has changed on my computer since i updated to this new version of rapid miner. In fact, just hours earlier, i was using the older version of rapid miner just fine and importing the same excel files without any problems!

Please, if anyone can help, this would be greatly appreciated ! I have searched the forums and posted the error report on Bugzilla!

Cheers

Andrew
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi Andrew,

this is odd. NullPointerExceptions should never occur. Can you send me the data so we can reproduce the error?

Greetings
    Nils