Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

ImageMiner 1.3.3 - help documentation?

DoloopDoloop Member Posts: 20 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Well, I finally managed to install the ImageMiner extension on a Windows XP system (never got it to work on my Mac OSX system).  I got it from here: [(http://spl.utko.feec.vutbr.cz/en/component/content/article/46-image-processing-extension-for-rapidminer-5)]  Now, I am trying to use it but it is not at all intuitive.  I cannot find any help documentation on their website.  Can anyone point me to some help documentation on the ImageMiner extension?

Answers

• StaryVenaStaryVena Member Posts: 126 Contributor II
    Hi,
    on my http://www.myexperiment.org/users/18932/workflows are some workflows. You can start here or write me, what would you like to do. So I can post here some temp process based on your demands.

Best
    Vaclav
  • DoloopDoloop Member Posts: 20 Contributor II
    Thanks for the reply.  I will check out your workflows.  By the way, I finally got it working on my "big computer" (my Mac) so I am smiling now.  (I made another post for other users who may be having the same installation problems I was having.)

I want to classify images.  I have images from security cameras and I want to classify them based on whether they contain people or vehicles or do not contain people or vehicles.  The cameras are stationary.  I have many examples of images in which people and / or vehicles do appear and i also have many images in which they do not appear.  I also have many images in different levels of light (bright, sunny day, overcast day, etc).  I also have images of days in which there was a significant change in the landscape appearance (i.e., snowy days).  It should be fairly straight forward to implement especially if i break the recognition into different tasks.

It looks like ImageMiner has the capability to do what I want to do.  I just need to figure out what all of the ImageMiner processes do so I know which ones would be helpful for my task.  I plan to experiment with both neural networks and also SVM's to perform the classification / recognition task.
    Hi,
    there is small example, how to convert images in tree folders to labeled example set:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="5.1.013">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="5.1.013" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <process expanded="true" height="190" width="413">
          <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:multiple_color_image_opener" compatibility="1.2.000" expanded="true" height="60" name="MCIO" width="90" x="313" y="30">
            <list key="images">
              <parameter key="empty" value="dirWithoutObjet"/>
              <parameter key="cars" value="dirWithPeople"/>
              <parameter key="people" value="dirWithCars"/>
            </list>
            <parameter key="assign_label" value="true"/>
            <process expanded="true" height="553" width="1064">
              <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:global_feature_extraction" compatibility="1.2.000" expanded="true" height="60" name="Global Feature Extractor from a Single Image" width="90" x="380" y="30">
                <process expanded="true" height="553" width="1064">
                  <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:statistics" compatibility="1.2.000" expanded="true" height="60" name="Global statistics" width="90" x="447" y="30"/>
                  <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:histogram" compatibility="1.2.000" expanded="true" height="60" name="histogram" width="90" x="447" y="120"/>
                  <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:color_to_grayscale" compatibility="1.2.000" expanded="true" height="60" name="Color to grayscale" width="90" x="179" y="210"/>
                  <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:dLog_distance" compatibility="1.2.000" expanded="true" height="60" name="dLog" width="90" x="447" y="210"/>
                  <connect from_port="color image plus 1" to_op="Global statistics" to_port="color image plus"/>
                  <connect from_port="color image plus 2" to_op="histogram" to_port="color image plus"/>
                  <connect from_port="color image plus 3" to_op="Color to grayscale" to_port="color image plus"/>
                  <connect from_op="Global statistics" from_port="features" to_port="feature 1"/>
                  <connect from_op="histogram" from_port="features" to_port="feature 2"/>
                  <connect from_op="Color to grayscale" from_port="grayscale image" to_op="dLog" to_port="grayscale image plus Hist"/>
                  <connect from_op="dLog" from_port="features" to_port="feature 3"/>
                  <portSpacing port="source_color image plus 1" spacing="0"/>
                  <portSpacing port="source_color image plus 2" spacing="72"/>
                  <portSpacing port="source_color image plus 3" spacing="0"/>
                  <portSpacing port="source_color image plus 4" spacing="0"/>
                  <portSpacing port="sink_feature 1" spacing="0"/>
                  <portSpacing port="sink_feature 2" spacing="72"/>
                  <portSpacing port="sink_feature 3" spacing="0"/>
                  <portSpacing port="sink_feature 4" spacing="0"/>
                </process>
              </operator>
              <connect from_port="color image plus" to_op="Global Feature Extractor from a Single Image" to_port="color image plus"/>
              <connect from_op="Global Feature Extractor from a Single Image" from_port="example set" to_port="Example set"/>
              <portSpacing port="source_color image plus" spacing="0"/>
              <portSpacing port="sink_Example set" spacing="0"/>
            </process>
          </operator>
          <connect from_op="MCIO" from_port="example set" to_port="result 1"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>
    Maybe some preprocessing operators are needed for improve performance (equalize histogram etc.)

Best
    Vaclav
    Vaclav, thanks for the help.  I now have both a neural network and an svm evaluating my images.  I will have to work with the models to optimize and see which works best. 

I still would like to see some documentation on the ImageMiner extension.  Surely there is some somewhere.  Do you know where I might find it?

By the way, when I looked at MyExperiment to see your workflows, I read about Taverna.  I had never heard of that application before.  Are you familiar with it?  I am curious as to how it is being used.

Thanks!
    Doloop wrote:

I still would like to see some documentation on the ImageMiner extension.  Surely there is some somewhere.  Do you know where I might find it?
    Documentation is a big problem. Some preprocessing operators are documented on wiki http://rapid-i.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Image_extension
    Situation about documentation will get better this summer. I hope  :)
    Doloop wrote:

By the way, when I looked at MyExperiment to see your workflows, I read about Taverna.  I had never heard of that application before.  Are you familiar with it?  I am curious as to how it is being used.
    I also had never heard of Taverna :)

Best
    Vaclav
  • IngoRMIngoRM Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

Taverna is an open source workflow system for the execution of scientific workflows composed of different web services:

http://www.taverna.org.uk/

It has been mainly developed by the University of Manchester, one of Rapid-I's project partners in the European project "e-LICO". Taverna is a great system - especially in the domain of bioinformatics. And Taverna now offers a RapidMiner extension which can be used to address all RapidMiner operators as web services provided by a RapidAnalytics server - and this makes Taverna an even greater piece of software now  ;)

More information about this extension can be found at

http://www.e-lico.eu/?q=TavernaRM

The extension was also presented during RCOMM 2011, our last user conference. The proceedings are available at

http://www.amazon.de/Proceedings-RapidMiner-Community-Conference-Informatik/dp/3844000933

Cheers,
    Ingo
    Vaclav, thanks for the link to the wiki.  I've checked it out and do find it helpful, at least as a brief introduction to some of the operators.

Ingo, thanks for the info.  I will look into Taverna.  At first glance, it appears that it could be useful for a very wide range of tasks.