Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

"R extension setup"

punstresspunstress Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited June 2019 in Help
I have been unable to get the R extension set up. I was continually seeing the R extension installation page on starting RapidMiner, so I disabled it, but I would really like to get it working.

I followed the directions to the letter for version 2.12.0 (although my version is 2.15.0, that is the highest version shown). I don't get any error messages, but the page never goes away and I can't use RM unless I deactivate the extension.

This is true for both my 32-bit Win XP desktop computer and my 64-bit Win 7 laptop.

I would really appreciate clear, step by step instructions. Assume I don't know anything. Thank you.
Tagged:

Answers

• Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

the installation instructions for 2.12 should work for 2.15 too. Did you setup all your paths correctly?
    You can have a look at the last post of this thread (http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,3040.0.html) that summarizes how to set the paths correctly.

Best,
    Nils
  • mazdamazda Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
    I have the same problem with running R extension.
    Here is the error message I get when I try using R extension:
    “Process failed.
    Could not initiate session with native R. Try using server. Reason: Could not initialize R via JRI. Reason Library wasn’t loaded.
    Reason: Could not initialize R via JRI. Reason: Library wasn’t loaded.”

My setting:  Win7 x64, RapidMiner 5.2, R2.12.2,

JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_03\jre
    R_HOME = C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2
    R_ARCH = "x64"
    Path contains: C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\bin\x64
    Rapidminer.r.native.lib = C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll 
    or
    Rapidminer.r.native.lib: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\R\win-library\2.12\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll  does not make a difference which one I use.

As far as I know I’m pointing to 64 bit architecture and running them on X64 bit architecture, but rapidMiner complains, Here is the error message:

“The local binary library ‘C\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll could not be loaded. Reason: C\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll: Can’t load AMD 64-bit.dll on a IA 32-bit platform.”

I have spent days on this and appreciate any augession.  Please help. 

Here is the summary of my error logs:

RAPIDMINER_HOME is not set. Trying the directory 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..'..
    Using local jre: C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..\jre\bin\java.exe...

INFO: Creating Connection to R...
    May 7, 2012 1:11:48 PM org.rosuda.JRI.Rengine loadLibrary
    INFO: Trying to loaded R library from C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll
    INFO: Engine ID: class org.rosuda.JRI.Rengine ClassLoader:PluginClassLoader ([file:/C:/Users/xxx
    /.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_r-5.1.4.jar])
    INFO: Successfully loaded R library from C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll(t
    rue)
    May 7, 2012 1:11:49 PM com.rapidminer.parameter.ParameterTypePassword decryptPassword
    WARNING: Password in XML file looks like unencrypted plain text.
    May 7, 2012 1:11:51 PM com.rapidminer.operator.ports.impl.InputPortImpl checkPreconditions
    WARNING: Error checking preconditions at Execute Script (R).input 1: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsExcep
    tion: Index: 0, Size: 0
    java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0 at java.util.LinkedList.entry(LinkedList.java:365)

[Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
    May 7, 2012 1:11:51 PM com.rapidminer.operator.r.ROperatorFactory readROperatorFragments
    WARNING: Could not read R fragments from 'file:/C:/Windows/system32/', error: Content is not allowed in prolog.org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.
            at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:249)

at com.rapid_i.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:334)
    [Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
    May 7, 2012 1:11:51 PM com.rapidminer.operator.r.ROperatorFactory <init>
    WARNING: Could not read documentation of user defined R operators from .
    java.io.IOException: Malformed XML operator help bundle: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.
    at com.rapidminer.tools.documentation.XMLOperatorDocBundle.<init>(XMLOperatorDocBundle.java:119)

Thanks
    -Mazda
  • Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

do you have RapidMiner as a 32- or 64bit version installed?

Best,
    Nils

I have RapidMiner x64 bit installed: this is the executable I used to install the application "rapidminer-5.2.000x64-install.exe"

Thanks,
    -Mazda
  • habibalexhabibalex Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
    This worked for me:

I am using win7 x64, w/ x64 R, RapidMiner and Java (that came with rapidMiner x64)

JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre\bin
    Path = [other stuff];C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre\bin;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.0\bin\x64
    R_HOME = C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.0

rapidminer.r.native.lib = C:\Users\rajiv\Documents\R\win-library\2.15\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll

Note that R_HOME doesn't have any of the \bin\...ect, that was causing me problems.

Habibalex, thanks for your post it was very helpful.  I changed my JAVA_HOME from my original Java jre directory to the jre under RapidMiner and now my R extension is there.

my JAVA_HOME is now pointing to:  JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre

However when I launch RapidMiner from RapidAnalytics, I still have the same problem, I even re-installed my RapidAnalytics hoping that all the environment variables would get updated, unfortunately I still have the same issue. 

thanks,
    -Mazda
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 39 Maven

Thanks for discussion guys. I have the same problem 

can't load ia 32-bit.dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

You mentioned jri.dll should be

rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll

I try to select that. But RM doesn't let me - when I click "select JRI library file", it just tell me it has found one...

Untitled3.png

Could somebody tell me how to manually set that up? Thanks

• jujujuju Member Posts: 39 Maven
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,996 RM Engineering

Hi,

please note that what you posted is the old R extension which was replaced with R Scripting as of RapidMiner Studio 6.4 and later because of the tedious and error-prone setup.

I would highly advise using the new extension instead with the latest RapidMiner Studio version (7.2).

Regards,

Marco