"R extension setup"

punstresspunstress Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited June 2019 in Help
I have been unable to get the R extension set up. I was continually seeing the R extension installation page on starting RapidMiner, so I disabled it, but I would really like to get it working.

I followed the directions to the letter for version 2.12.0 (although my version is 2.15.0, that is the highest version shown). I don't get any error messages, but the page never goes away and I can't use RM unless I deactivate the extension.

This is true for both my 32-bit Win XP desktop computer and my 64-bit Win 7 laptop.

I would really appreciate clear, step by step instructions. Assume I don't know anything. Thank you.
Tagged:

Answers

• Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

the installation instructions for 2.12 should work for 2.15 too. Did you setup all your paths correctly?
    You can have a look at the last post of this thread (http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,3040.0.html) that summarizes how to set the paths correctly.

Best,
    Nils
  • mazdamazda Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
    I have the same problem with running R extension.
    Here is the error message I get when I try using R extension:
    “Process failed.
    Could not initiate session with native R. Try using server. Reason: Could not initialize R via JRI. Reason Library wasn’t loaded.
    Reason: Could not initialize R via JRI. Reason: Library wasn’t loaded.”

My setting:  Win7 x64, RapidMiner 5.2, R2.12.2,

JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_03\jre
    R_HOME = C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2
    R_ARCH = "x64"
    Path contains: C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\bin\x64
    Rapidminer.r.native.lib = C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll 
    or
    Rapidminer.r.native.lib: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\R\win-library\2.12\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll  does not make a difference which one I use.

As far as I know I’m pointing to 64 bit architecture and running them on X64 bit architecture, but rapidMiner complains, Here is the error message:

“The local binary library ‘C\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll could not be loaded. Reason: C\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll: Can’t load AMD 64-bit.dll on a IA 32-bit platform.”

I have spent days on this and appreciate any augession.  Please help. 

Here is the summary of my error logs:

RAPIDMINER_HOME is not set. Trying the directory 'C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..'..
    Using local jre: C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..\jre\bin\java.exe...

INFO: Creating Connection to R...
    May 7, 2012 1:11:48 PM org.rosuda.JRI.Rengine loadLibrary
    INFO: Trying to loaded R library from C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll
    INFO: Engine ID: class org.rosuda.JRI.Rengine ClassLoader:PluginClassLoader ([file:/C:/Users/xxx
    /.RapidMiner5/managed/rmx_r-5.1.4.jar])
    INFO: Successfully loaded R library from C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.2\library\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll(t
    rue)
    May 7, 2012 1:11:49 PM com.rapidminer.parameter.ParameterTypePassword decryptPassword
    WARNING: Password in XML file looks like unencrypted plain text.
    May 7, 2012 1:11:51 PM com.rapidminer.operator.ports.impl.InputPortImpl checkPreconditions
    WARNING: Error checking preconditions at Execute Script (R).input 1: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsExcep
    tion: Index: 0, Size: 0
    java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0 at java.util.LinkedList.entry(LinkedList.java:365)

[Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
    May 7, 2012 1:11:51 PM com.rapidminer.operator.r.ROperatorFactory readROperatorFragments
    WARNING: Could not read R fragments from 'file:/C:/Windows/system32/', error: Content is not allowed in prolog.org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.
            at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:249)

at com.rapid_i.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:334)
    [Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
    May 7, 2012 1:11:51 PM com.rapidminer.operator.r.ROperatorFactory <init>
    WARNING: Could not read documentation of user defined R operators from .
    java.io.IOException: Malformed XML operator help bundle: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.
    at com.rapidminer.tools.documentation.XMLOperatorDocBundle.<init>(XMLOperatorDocBundle.java:119)

Thanks
    -Mazda
  • Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

do you have RapidMiner as a 32- or 64bit version installed?

Best,
    Nils

I have RapidMiner x64 bit installed: this is the executable I used to install the application "rapidminer-5.2.000x64-install.exe"

Thanks,
    -Mazda
  • habibalexhabibalex Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
    This worked for me:

I am using win7 x64, w/ x64 R, RapidMiner and Java (that came with rapidMiner x64)

JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre\bin
    Path = [other stuff];C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre\bin;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.0\bin\x64
    R_HOME = C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.0

rapidminer.r.native.lib = C:\Users\rajiv\Documents\R\win-library\2.15\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll

Note that R_HOME doesn't have any of the \bin\...ect, that was causing me problems.

Habibalex, thanks for your post it was very helpful.  I changed my JAVA_HOME from my original Java jre directory to the jre under RapidMiner and now my R extension is there.

my JAVA_HOME is now pointing to:  JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre

However when I launch RapidMiner from RapidAnalytics, I still have the same problem, I even re-installed my RapidAnalytics hoping that all the environment variables would get updated, unfortunately I still have the same issue. 

thanks,
    -Mazda
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 39 Guru

Thanks for discussion guys. I have the same problem 

can't load ia 32-bit.dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

You mentioned jri.dll should be

rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll

I try to select that. But RM doesn't let me - when I click "select JRI library file", it just tell me it has found one...

Untitled3.png

Could somebody tell me how to manually set that up? Thanks

• jujujuju Member Posts: 39 Guru
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering

Hi,

please note that what you posted is the old R extension which was replaced with R Scripting as of RapidMiner Studio 6.4 and later because of the tedious and error-prone setup.

I would highly advise using the new extension instead with the latest RapidMiner Studio version (7.2).

Regards,

Marco