Options

moving an operator into another operator loses its internal operators' positions

tennenrishintennenrishin Member Posts: 177 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi all

Cutting and pasting an operator that contains internal operators apparently causes the internal operators to assume new random positions on the design canvas. This means that after a cut&paste operation, I have to recursively navigate through all of that operator's internal operators and drag them to their correct position again.

Until now this was just an annoyance, but now I have to perform an edit that will render about 350 internal operators tangled, so I'm asking for help first. Is there any other way to move an operator into another, without causing this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Isak

PS: Idea: Perhaps by editing the xml file? Looking into it...

Answers

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Yeah, this is an annoying bug, which is on our to do list. Unfortunately it is not as easy to fix as it seems, but it is definitely on our list of most annoying bugs and will be fixed sooner or later.

In your case, it is certainly possible to edit the XML, but it will be a bit tedious - however probably still better than rearranging 350 operators. Just create a process which contains your meta-operator of choice and put one or two operators inside, and transfer the structure to your huge process.

However, having 350 operators in one single process is quite extraordinary. What are you doing? If you e.g. try a lot of different parameter combinations, you should have a look at Loop Parameters. Maybe some of the other Loop operators can help you.
    Additionally, you should consider to split your process into smaller pieces and either store intermediate results which you load from the subsequent process, or you can use the Execute Process operator to directly use the output of subprocesses.

Happy mining, good luck with your restructuring :)

~Marius
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for all the advice. I managed to do it the XML way.

The process generates a tree of interlinked html reports into a pre-existing tree of folders in the file system, based on some kind of specification in a text-file that resides in each folder.

The process already makes extensive use of loop operators and recursion (to generate the subtrees).

Thanks again - your replies in this forum have always been very helpful
    Isak
  • Options
    The main problem is that I don't know how to split report generation among multiple processes. Is it possible?