Options

Increase limit on number of categories in a stacked bar chart generated by the r

tennenrishintennenrishin Member Posts: 177 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
While generating reports that contain stacked bar charts, I sometimes encounter errors of this kind:
Too many columns 296, this chart is only able to plot up to 200 different categories.

The number of categories in a stacked bar chart can easily exceed 200. For example: 30 bars stacked 7 high.
Is 200 just an arbitrary limit that can easily be increased? If so, please consider increasing it.

Thanks
Isak

Answers

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi Isak,

I'm not completely sure, but is it maybe the property rapidminer.gui.plotter.matrixplot.size under Tools/Properties/Gui?

Are you sure that "category" refers to the product of bars and stack levels? I would rather think that it refers to the number of bars and/or the number of levels. Maybe you can configure the plot differently or apply a different preprocessing on your data? You can also try to use the Advanced Charts to create stacked bar charts in a more flexible way than with the usual Plot View.

Best, Marius
  • Options
    tennenrishintennenrishin Member Posts: 177 Contributor II
    Hi Marius,

Thanks for your response.
    I'm not completely sure, but is it maybe the property rapidminer.gui.plotter.matrixplot.size under Tools/Properties/Gui?
    I don't think so. According to the tooltip, that property defines the size of matrix plots, in pixels.
    Are you sure that "category" refers to the product of bars and stack levels? I would rather think that it refers to the number of bars and/or the number of levels.
    I initially thought so too but I have seen the error message when the number of bars and the number of levels are each much lower than 200, but their product is higher than 200.
    Maybe you can configure the plot differently or apply a different preprocessing on your data?
    It is possible to discretize more coursely, but given my application and the number of available examples, that workaround is not ideal.
    You can also try to use the Advanced Charts to create stacked bar charts in a more flexible way than with the usual Plot View.
    Last time I checked, Advanced Charts were not supported by the Reporting Extension. Is this likely to change soon?

I don't know the reasons behind the limit, but would it be difficult to just push the number from 200 up to, say, 500? (Perhaps it was initially set with only normal (i.e. not stacked) bar charts in mind?)

Thanks again
    Isak