Options

"desktop icon for mac"

mylesgmylesg Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Looking at the ways you can start RM- I note that on a Windows machine installation, a desktop icon is created.

Can something similar be created for the Mac? I am using this with students (many who have Macs)- and prefer for them not to have to find the .jar file to launch the GUI.

Thanks

MPG
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

at the moment this is not possible. But we are planning to create an .dmg installer for Mac that allows simple dragging of RM to your application folder.

Best,
    Nils
  • Options
    earmijoearmijo Member Posts: 270 Unicorn
    What I have done in my class is suggest students create an "application" with the Automator of the type  "Run Shell Script". In the text window simply write :

java -jar -Xmx1G .../rapidminer/lib/rapidminer.jar

Now RapidMiner can be launched as a regular application.
  • Options
    Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

instead of running the jar I would recommend you to start RapidMiner with RapidMinerGUI script contained in the script folder.
    Maybe you have to change the permission rights first before you can start it with 'chmod +x RapidMinerGUI'. The script has to be executed
    from the main folder of RapidMiner like this: './scripts/RapidMinerGUI' or from within the scripts folder if you have set the RAPIDMINER_HOME environment variable.

Within the script you should also adapt the number of memory you want to use for RM. From version 5.3 on, which will be released next week,
    the standard memory size is set to 1024MB.

Best,
    Nils