Options

performance issues

FourpillarsFourpillars Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

Trying out RapidMiner. Looks like a great program but I encounter a few problems.

With several of the modelling methods I am getting a warning  "This process would need more than the maximum amount of available memory".
This is with a rather small data set of 3000 items (a 300 kB xls file). My laptop has 8GB ram and an i7 processor, so one would expect that it can work with much larger datasets. Is there a way to solve this?

The program also tends to hang for unknown reasons.
E.g. sometimes becomes extremely slow in the opening csv or xls data wizzard.
There also seem to bugs when trying to change view perspectives. Sometimes it refuses to go from "Results" to "Design", the screen stays blank and the only way out is using ALT+DEL to force close the program.

Any advice?

Thks

Answers

• Options
    I just read some other threads where similar problems are reported.

I switched on "System Monitor" in the perspective and it tells me that the memory is max 56 MB.
    Why is that so low?

I will now try to install 64 bit version, as I am using Win7 64 bit. Maybe that will help.
  • Options
    OK. I just installed Java 64 bit and RM 64 bit.

Now the performance monitor shows me 5.6 GB of available memory and all issues seem to be solved.
    It's interesting it only detected (and used) 56 MB of memory in the 32 bit version, off by a factor of 1/1000

I think this is something you should look into.
    This will unnecessarily frustrate people who download the free version.
    You need something like a basic test of the available memory on first use, and if it is abnormally low then the user should be warned and presented with option to solve it.
  • Options
    Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

I just did a fresh install of RapidMiner 5.3 32bit on windows and could reproduce the problem. I have only 64mb memory available.
    Thanks for the hint we will have a look at that!

Best,
    Nils