Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Limiting Decision Tree branching factor

aryan_hosseinzaaryan_hosseinza Member Posts: 74 Contributor II
Hi everybody ,

I have a dataset with 5 attributes , one is nominal and it has large number of possible values (~5000 values) , I want to train a decision tree on this dataset but the problem is that when I include this feature , the branching factor for this attribute is very large and so model doesn't in the memory (I use 74 GB of main memory) , my dataset has about 620 K instances (rows) ,

Is it possible to put a limit on branching factor for this attribute ?

Thanks ,
Arian

Answers

• MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi Arian,

no, you can't limit the branching factor - for each nominal value a single branch will be created. But probably an attribute with that many features is probably not the best choice anyway. But tell me, are the values a fixed set, or is possible that new data contains different, new values? In that case the example is useless anyways.

Best regards,
    Marius