Options

Rapid Miner From Standalone Desktop PC

robert99robert99 Member Posts: 15 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Windows 8, 64bit
RapidMiner 5.3

I can connect to the marketplace manually, but not from RapidMiner as I do not have any proxy, host ftp etc set up on my standalone pc.
Version 5.1 connected from within RapidMiner without any further Settings / System data needed.

What do I now need to set up in addition?

Answers

• Options
    Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

what Java do you have? Java 7 64bit? Could you please start RapidMiner with the RapidMinerGUI.bat script in the scripts folder from a console and try to connect to the marketplace.
    In case of an error, it should be shown in the console.

Best,
    Nils
  • Options
    Thank you.

The default Java for Windows 8 64 bit is still 32 bit I believe (installation does not indicate which).

I installed the 32 bit version of RapidMiner 5.3 but got the same problem with marketplace access.

I tried your bat file without success except that following errors were given for RAPIDMINER_HOME and findstr :

"
    :\Progran Files (x86)\Rapid—I\RapidMinerb\scripts>rapidminergui.bat
    RAPIDMINER_HOME is not set. Trying the directory D:\Progran Files (x86)\Rapid—I
    RapidMiner5\scripts\..’ ...
    Using local jre: D:\Progran Files (x86)\Rapid—I\RapidMiner5\scripts\. .\jre\bin\java.exe...
    Starting RapidMiner from D:\Program Files (x86)\Rapid—I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..’
    using classes from ‘D:\Program Files (x86)\Rapid—I\RapidMiner5\scripts\. .\lib\rapidminer.jar’ ...
    Creating f ile “C:\Users\robert99\AppData\Roaming\check_rrn_java_version”
    ‘findstr’ is not recognized as an internal or external command.
    operahle program or batch file.

D:\Progran Files (x86)\Rapid—I\RapidMinerb\scripts>"

(RapidMiner 5.1, 32 bit still works without a problem.)

What do I need to do for 5.3?
  • Options
    Hi,

this seems as if Windows 8 has removed the findstr command or your path is broken.
    Can you please check your PATH (echo %PATH%)?

Best,
    Nils
  • Options
    Thank you

The paths I currently have as set are as follows:
    Nothing appears set for RapidMiner
    I am installing RapidMiner on my D Drive

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200] (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved

C:\Users\robert99> echo %PATH%

D:\Python27\;
    D:\Python27\Scripts;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\NUIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;
    C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;
    %SystemRoot%\System32;
    %SystemRoot%;
    %SystenRoot%\System32\Wbem;
    %SYSTEMROOT%System32\WindowsPowerShell\vl.0\;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\lntel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;
    C:\Program Files (x06\Calibre2\;
    D:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;
    C:\lUsers\robert99\AppData\Roaming\Python\Scripts;
    D:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Spiceworks\Nmap

D:\Users\robert99>
  • Options
    The PATH seems to be fine. What happens if you just type in 'where findstr' in your console? For me the result is C:\Windows\System32\findstr.exe
    Furthermore, what does 'echo %SystemRoot% say?
  • Options

Console does not recognise "where" command but searching with Explorer finds findstr.exe in 4 places

findstr
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    findstr
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-findstr...
    findstr
    C:\Windows\System32
    findstr
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\amdß4_microsoft-windows-fin...

echo %SytemRoot" gives C:\Windows
  • Options
    Than there seems to be something wrong with your system configuration.
    If %SystemRoot% yields 'C:\Windwos' and '%SystemRoot%\System32;' is on your path and your explorer finds findstr in 'C:\Windows\System32'
    than from my view it should be found when executing the RapidMinerGUI.bat script..

Without the error message from the console it is hard to discover the error. Maybe we should take another approach.
    What does the error message say that appears when you try to connect to the marketplace from within RapidMiner?

Best,
    Nils
  • Options
    RWingerterRWingerter Member Posts: 38 Contributor II
    robert99 wrote:

The default Java for Windows 8 64 bit is still 32 bit I believe (installation does not indicate which).
    You might want to go to www.java.com and use the option to have your Java version checked.

Roland

• Options
    Hello,

I have now found that Windows CMD has to be run as Administrator in W8.

I re-ran rapidminergui.bat as below:
    RapidMiner started at the end of the process but I still
    cannot connect from RM to the marketplace / updates.

When I try the Help/ Updates and Extension (Marketplace)
    the error message is:

Update Failed
    Cannot connect to Marketplace server.
    Please check your internet connection and proxy configuration

On the opening page of RM there is a manual link to Marketplace and this does work on clicking.

I can confirm I have latest Java 7 Update 17 and it is 32 bit and is set in browser.

cmd - Shortcut - D:\Program Files (x86)\Rapid-l\RapidMiner5\scripts\RapidMin..
    Microsoft Windows [Uersion 6.2.9200]
    <c> 2012 Microsoft Corporation, fill rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>"D:\Program Files <x86>\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\RapidMinerGUI.bat"
    RAPIDMINER_HOME is not set. Trying the directory *D:\Program Files <x86>\Rapid-IRapidMiner5\scripts\..
    Using local jre: D:\Program Files <x86>\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..\jre\bin\jva.exe...
    Starting RapidMiner from *D:\Program Files <x86>\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..'
    using classes from *D:\Program Files <x86>\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..\lib\rpidminer.jar*...
    Creating file ,'C:\Users\robert99\AppData\Roaming\check_rm_java_version”
    Java Uersion: 1.7.0_11
    Removing file ,'C:\Users\robert99\AppData\Roaming\check_rm_java_version”
    Starting in multicore mode with G1 garbage collector...
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:40 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher ensureRapidMinerHomeSet
    INFO: rapidminer.home is *D:\Program Files <x86>\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..'
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:40 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher main
    INFO: Launching RapidMiner, platform WIN32
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:41 PM com.rapidminer.tools.ParameterSeruice init
    INFO: Reading configuration resource com/rapidminer/resources/rapidminerrc.
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:41 PM com.rapidminer.tools.I18N <clinit>
    INFO: Set locale to en.
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:41 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher ensureRapidMinerHomeSet
    INFO: rapidminer.home is *D:\Program Files <x86>\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\scripts\..'
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:41 PM com.rapidminer.parameter.ParameterTypePassword decryptPassword
    WARNING: Password in XML file looks like unencrypted plain text.
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:42 PM com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService init
    INFO: Number of registered operator classes: 443; number of registered operator descriptions: 444; number of replacements: 403
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:42 PM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDRCProperties <init>
    WARNING: Missing database driver class name for ODRC Rridge <e.g. Access>
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:42 PM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDRCProperties registerDriver
    INFO: JDRC driver ca.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver not found. Probably the driver is not installed.
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:42 PM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDRCProperties registerDriver
    INFO: JDRC driver oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver not found. Probably the driver is not installed.
    Fatal Error] :1:1: Premature end of file.
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:43 PM com.rapidminer.gui.tools.ResourceAction addToActionMap
    WARNING: Cannot add action save_building_block to input map: no accelerator defied.
    WARNING: Cannot add action save_building_block to input map: no accelerator defined.
    WARNING: Cannot add action toggle_all_breakpoints to input map: no accelerator defined.
    ARNING: Cannot add action toggle_all_breakpoints to input map: no accelerator defined.
    Mar 21, 2013 12:04:43 PM com.rapidminer.gui.OperatorDocLoader parseDocumentForOperator
    WARNING: Could not open http://rapid-i.com/wiki/index.php?title=Process: Cannot assign requested address: connect
  • Options
    Can you please check the update server URL? It's in the update tab of the preferences and should be 'http://marketplace.rapid-i.com:80/UpdateServer'.
  • Options
    Thank you.

Checked.
    The URL was already set correctly in the Update tab.

Still not connecting to marketplace from within RM though.
  • Options
    Nils wrote:

Could you please start RapidMiner with the RapidMinerGUI.bat script in the scripts folder from a console and try to connect to the marketplace.
    Maybe Robert should also try if it makes a difference when RapidMiner is started by doubleclicking  the Executable Jar File ...\RapidMiner5\lib\rapidminer.jar. It does make a difference on my machine (Windows 7, 64 bit). When I start RapidMiner by doubleclicking the jar file I can connect to MS SQL Server, when I click on the program icon I can't.  I have not found out why. 

Roland
  • Options
    Roland,

Thank you for the suggestion.
    RM ran on clicking the jar file but the marketplace problem remains.

I have checked my AV (Kaspersky) and RM and RMgui.bat is set as Trusted

If I go back to 5.1 can the latest add-ons / extensions (5.3) work with RM 5.1 ?
  • Options
    Does your error screen look like this?

Best,
    Nils
  • Options
    The error box does not give any details nor any options for seeing Details

• Options
    Hm, I'm sorry. Than I can't help you with the current version. Could you please download the latest version 5.3.7 and test if the problem still exists?
  • Options
    Thanks for trying.

I downloaded the 32 bit latest version but the problem is exactly the same.
    A hunch is that some small part of 5.3 revision does not recognise I have installed RM on my D drive.

If I go back to version 5.1, which works fine, will there be  any problems with extensions and their updates?
  • Options
    We have changed the API for 5.3 which may lead to problems with updated extensions. But we didn't check as we do strongly recommend to always use the latest version available.
  • Options
    Retegniw wrote:

You might want to go to www.java.com and use the option to have your Java version checked.
    FWIW, I found that on my machine I have two Java versions installed: 32 bit and 64 bit. The latter was installed with RapidMiner. They appear in the Windows Task manager as "Javaw.exe *32" and "Javaw.exe" respectiveley. Depending on how I start RapidMiner I see one or the other in the Windows Task Manager.