Options

memory problems

denhojerdenhojer Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi All
I am trying to process 10000 pages from a web site but keep getting told i have to small of memory, i have down loaded the java 64 bit as well as rp-64 bit and i am using version 5.3005 and when i check the system monitor it tells me i have a max of 460 MB. How can i increase this please- as you can tell im new to rapidminer.Can anybody help please and thanks.

Answers

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi,

which operating system are you using? How exactly do you start RapidMiner?

Best regards,
    Marius
  • Options
    Hi Mrius
    I'm working on windows 7 64 bit os, and i start rapidminer from my desktop.
  • Options
    RWingerterRWingerter Member Posts: 38 Contributor II
    This page explains how to increase the maximum amount of memory via environment variables:
    http://rapid-i.com/content/view/17/211/lang,en/#installation:windows

Roland
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

oh my, what happened to the pictures on that page :o (oh, just had to press Ctrl+F5, nvm ;D)
    Anynway, this is a little odd, as the .exe file in the RapidMiner 64-bit version should allocate 90% of your available memory on a 64-bit windows..
    To circumveit your problem you can however use the RapidMinerGUI.bat start script from the RapidMiner/scripts folder. Right-click, select edit, change

MAX_JAVA_MEMORY=1024
    to the amount of RAM (in MB) you desire), e.g.

MAX_JAVA_MEMORY=4096
    for 4GB of RAM. Then just launch the .bat script (NOT the .exe) to start RapidMiner, and you should have the specified amount of RAM available. If that is not the case, you have the MAX_JAVA_MEMORY environment variable set to something else and you will need to alter or delete it.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Thanks all for your help.
  • Options
    Hi again
    IΒ  first opened rapidminer from the RapidMinerGUI.bat in the script file and when i checked the system monitor it showed that the max had increased to 1024MB which is good but the total also showed 1024MB this was just when opened surely the total should not be this high yet. I then tried to increase the MAX_JAVA_MEMORY but was not allowed to save these changes, how do i go about this.
    Regards
    Denhojer
  • Options
    RWingerterRWingerter Member Posts: 38 Contributor II
    denhojer wrote:

I then tried to increase the MAX_JAVA_MEMORY but was not allowed to save these changes, how do i go about this.
    See
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/access-denied-on-editing-file-under-cprogram-files/a3f86105-225c-4ce3-ad73-6e0394184aa7

Roland
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Total and Max do not show the current memory consumption, they only show the amount of RAM currently available to RapidMiner and the theoretical meximum amount of RAM RapidMiner will use if needed. The current memory consumption is indicated by the graph. For the permissions issue when editing please see the link Retegniw posted.

Regards,
    Marco