Options

How to add weights to k-NN [SOLVED]

michaelhechtmichaelhecht Member Posts: 89 Maven
Hello,

I just sitting in a Rapid-I course I had the question how to add weights to the attributes for an k-NN operator. Now one could answer this satisfying.

So how to weight attributes (e.g.numeric ones) for a weighted distance for the k-NN operator?

Answers

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hey,

just let me know when your next break starts and I can explain it to you personally :)

See you later!

Marius
  • Options
    Ok, meanwhile I understood what to do. One could normalize the attributes and then scale by weights.

But what can I do with nominal attributes?
  • Options
    Well, for nominal attributes it is not possible to apply weights directly. You have to convert them to a numerical representation beforehand and then use the same technique as for numerical attributes, i.e. scaling the values. For the conversion you can e.g. use Nominal to Numerical with dummy_coding.

Best regards,
    Marius
  • Options
    I just discussed this with Ralf Klinkenberg. Here is what I implemented this night in the hotel  :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="5.3.007">
     <context>
       <input/>
       <output/>
       <macros/>
     </context>
     <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" name="Process">
       <process expanded="true">
         <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="60" name="Retrieve Golf" width="90" x="45" y="30">
           <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Golf"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="normalize" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="94" name="Normalize" width="90" x="179" y="30">
           <parameter key="attribute_filter_type" value="subset"/>
           <parameter key="attributes" value="|Humidity|Temperature"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="nominal_to_binominal" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="94" name="Nominal to Binominal" width="90" x="313" y="30">
           <parameter key="attributes" value="|Wind|Play|Outlook"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="nominal_to_numerical" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="94" name="Nominal to Numerical" width="90" x="447" y="30">
           <parameter key="attributes" value="|Wind|Play|Outlook = sunny|Outlook = rain|Outlook = overcast"/>
           <list key="comparison_groups"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="normalize" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="94" name="Normalize (2)" width="90" x="581" y="30">
           <parameter key="attributes" value="|Wind = true|Wind = false|Outlook = sunny = true|Outlook = sunny = false|Outlook = rain = true|Outlook = rain = false|Outlook = overcast = true|Outlook = overcast = false"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="weight_by_information_gain_ratio" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="76" name="Weight by Information Gain Ratio" width="90" x="45" y="210"/>
         <operator activated="true" class="scale_by_weights" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="76" name="Scale by Weights" width="90" x="179" y="210"/>
         <operator activated="true" class="k_nn" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="76" name="k-NN" width="90" x="313" y="210">
           <parameter key="k" value="2"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="apply_model" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="76" name="Apply Model" width="90" x="447" y="210">
           <list key="application_parameters"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="performance" compatibility="5.3.007" expanded="true" height="76" name="Performance" width="90" x="581" y="210"/>
         <connect from_op="Retrieve Golf" from_port="output" to_op="Normalize" to_port="example set input"/>
         <connect from_op="Normalize" from_port="example set output" to_op="Nominal to Binominal" to_port="example set input"/>
         <connect from_op="Nominal to Binominal" from_port="example set output" to_op="Nominal to Numerical" to_port="example set input"/>
         <connect from_op="Nominal to Numerical" from_port="example set output" to_op="Normalize (2)" to_port="example set input"/>
         <connect from_op="Normalize (2)" from_port="example set output" to_op="Weight by Information Gain Ratio" to_port="example set"/>
         <connect from_op="Weight by Information Gain Ratio" from_port="weights" to_op="Scale by Weights" to_port="weights"/>
         <connect from_op="Weight by Information Gain Ratio" from_port="example set" to_op="Scale by Weights" to_port="example set"/>
         <connect from_op="Scale by Weights" from_port="example set" to_op="k-NN" to_port="training set"/>
         <connect from_op="k-NN" from_port="model" to_op="Apply Model" to_port="model"/>
         <connect from_op="k-NN" from_port="exampleSet" to_op="Apply Model" to_port="unlabelled data"/>
         <connect from_op="Apply Model" from_port="labelled data" to_op="Performance" to_port="labelled data"/>
         <connect from_op="Performance" from_port="performance" to_port="result 1"/>
         <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
         <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
         <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
       </process>
     </operator>
    </process>

This performs better than direct application of k-NN with two neighbours, i.e. seems to work as expected.

Nevertheless, what is missing (in my opinion) is a weight input for at least k-NN and Bayes-Operators (since weighting is e.g. a part of the Weka WAODE method, i.e. makes sense there and possibliy also for other operators) to apply attribute weighting in a "natural" way.
  • Options
    wesselwessel Member Posts: 537 Maven
    Marius wrote:

Hey,

just let me know when your next break starts and I can explain it to you personally :)

See you later!

Marius
    Where do you guys hang out?
    Dortmund University?
  • Options
    michaelhecht wrote:

This performs better than direct application of k-NN with two neighbours, i.e. seems to work as expected.
    Just for the record: to know if it really performs better you have to validate the model in a proper way, e.g. with a cross validation. Try setting k to 1 and you'll always get an accuracy of 100% on the training data :)

Where do you guys hang out?
    Dortmund University?
    Rapid-I Headquarters, Dortmund :)
  • Options
    Well, I added SOLVED to the topic, but finally the difference to a weighted k-NN is, that the weights are taken squared if e.g. euclidean distance is applied. So it isn't a real solution but a workaround to the missing weight input. ;)