Options

RM pinning to win7 taskbar

tennenrishintennenrishin Member Posts: 177 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
I don't know whether others have the same problem, but for me RM does not behave the way win7 likes applications to behave on the taskbar.

Usually, an application can be "pinned" to the taskbar, serving as a shortcut when the application is not running. It does not seem possible to pin RM to the taskbar (i.e. the context menu does not have that option). Dragging an RM shortcut onto the taskbar works, but the resulting shortcut is a completely separate button on the taskbar, so that there are two (same-looking) RM buttons when RM is actually running.

Answers

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Good point. I have created an internal feature request.
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

that's probably because the .exe file only serves as a launcher for the .jar file as RapidMiner is a Java program. Therefore I'm not sure if this is even possible.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    That makes sense. I wonder how the Netbeans IDE gets it right. It's written in Java too, apparently - yet launched as an EXE.
  • Options
    Well, apparently even Netbeans was struggling with this at one stage, as well as many others, but it doesn't seem impossible.

As one poster in the Netbeans bug report forum put it, perhaps a little too strongly:
    ...for people with Windows 7 64-bit and it makes Netbeans look very unprofessional when it is the one application that fails to integrate with the taskbar.