Options

LibSVM - Probability Estimation - Meaning of the Parameters

mbukombuko Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

LibSVM provides within RapidMiner the output of the probability based on Platt scaling (https://rapid-i.com/wiki/index.php?title=Support_Vector_Machine_(LibSVM)). I don't understand the meaning of the documented parameters and the resulting confidence values:

1) Does "calculate confidences" = TRUE indicate, that the confidence values are the probability estimations?
2) What is the definition of the confidence value, if "calculate confidences" = FALSE?
3) In a multiclass case how does "confidence for multiclass" = TRUE and how does "confidence for multiclass" = FALSE behave (also in the combination with "calculate confidences" = TRUE or FALSE)?

In order to use RapidMiner and the output, I need a clear understanding of the parameters, confidence values and dependencies to the RapidMiner operators.

I would be pleased, if you would help me with these issues!

Best regards,
Mark

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,510 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

if you classify using a SVM you can either just calculate the sgn of the scalar product, and thus get the prediction or do the full scalar product and get also the margin (?). This value can be interpreted as a confidence, this is not necessary a probabilty for the class.

for 3) i think there is a 1 vs all in the background and then the confidences are "simply" normalized? Not sure exactly though.

~Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    @Martin thank you for your reply!

The documentation of RapidMiner says that LibSVM provides the probability estimation based on Platt scaling, but which parameter enables it? It is neither clearly descriped nor defined, it is really inadequate for scientifc work.

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

on an unrelated note: how did you find that hugely outdated link?
    I suggest you using docs.rapidminer.com in the future.

Cheers,
    Marco
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,510 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

i think it is activated by default.

Have a look at LivSVMModel.java line 252, this calculates it. I am still not sure, what the if cause

if (model.probA != null && model.probB != null) {
    (line 220)
    means, which is causes the activation.

~Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    @Martin Thanks!

I think I have to look into the implemention: LibSVMModel.java and libsvm/Svm.java seem to contain all relevant information. With the first brief look I have found some interesting parts:

Svm.java:

- svm_train
    - svm_svr_probability
    - svm_cross_validation
    - svm_predict_probability
    - sigmoid_predict
    - multiclass_probability // Method 2 from the multiclass_prob paper by Wu, Lin, and Weng
    - svm_predict
    - svm_predict_values
    - svm_binary_svc_probability
    - sigmoid_train (Platt's binary SVM Probablistic Output: an improvement from Lin et al.

LibSVMModel.java:

- performPrediction
    - if model.param.svm_type == LibSVMLearner.SVM_TYPE_ONE_CLASS
    - double maxConfidence = Double.NEGATIVE_INFINITY; double minConfidence = Double.POSITIVE_INFINITY;
    - Svm.svm_predict_values
    - else performing regular classification or regression
    - if (model.probA != null && model.probB != null) {
    - Svm.svm_predict_values
    - Svm.sigmoid_predict
    - Svm.multiclass_probability(nr_class, pairwise_prob, classProbs);

for (k = 0; k < nr_class; k++) {
    example.setValue(confidenceAttributes, classProbs);
    }
    - else
    - predictedClass = Svm.svm_predict
    - Svm.svm_predict_value
    - prediction = functionValues[0];
    - example.setValue(confidenceAttributes[0], 1.0d / (1.0d + java.lang.Math.exp(-prediction)));

I have to analyze it more in detail. I would be very pleased about any support.