Options

I cannot see the results after running process

AntonioAntonio Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi all,

I am new using RapidMiner, so I decided to do every tutorial included in it. However, after completing each of them, I am not able to see the results in the last step. First I tried to reinstall RapidMiner but it did not work. Then, I tried to complete one of these tutorials using the laptop of one of my colleagues (a Macbook pro, i5, 8 GB of RAM) and it actually worked.

So, I think that this problem is occurring because my laptop is not powerful enough. I am using a MacBook Air 13-inch Mid 2012, with a 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and 4 GB of RAM. Currently I have about 20 Gb free in my SSD. Additionally, I read that the minimum and recommended Specs for RapidMiner are the following:

Minimum:
Dual core
2GHz processor
4GB RAM
>1GB free disk space
Resolution: 1280x1024

Recommended:
Quad core
3GHz or faster processor
16GB RAM
>100GB free disk space

So, my laptop barely meets the minimum specs. Do you think that this is the origin of my problem or maybe is something else? If so, which computer would you recommend to me?

Thank you in advance!

BR,
Antonio

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

while your laptop will obviously not be able to do more complex tasks, the basic tutorials should be absolutely fine.
    Can you describe a bit more what happens? What do you see when you manually switch to the Results view in the top of the screen after running your process?
    It may be that you have somehow changed some Studio settings, so in case you have not saved anything signifcant yet, you can also try to close Studio, move the .RapidMiner folder from your USER_HOME to some other place (or simply rename it) and then start Studio again. This will completely reset your local environment and discard any changes you may have done so far.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Hi Marco,

Thank you for your quick reply. After pressing the play button, RapidMiner brings me to the the results view. There I can see again the tutorial instructions (as a tab) but not the data table.

I tried to move the app from the application folder to my SSD root directory and change its name, as you suggested, but it makes no difference.

Any other suggestion?

NOTE: just in case, tell you that I have installed Mac Os 10.11.3 (El Capitan). Additionally to RapidMiner, I have just 4 applications opened: Microsoft Outlook, Things, Finder, and Chrome (with 4 tabs).
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

ok, in that case can you please post the contents of the log found in USER_HOME/.RapidMiner/rapidminer-studio.log after the problem occurred?

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Since it is Mac OS, I do not know how to access to that file. I have tried to open RapidMiner Studio.app from finder clicking on "Show package content" and then search for any log file. But apparently there is no such file. :-\
  • Options
    Hi,

no that was a misunderstanding then :)
    The package content is only the app itself. All settings etc are stored in a directory called ".RapidMiner" in your home folder. Manipulating the app content does not change anything.
    The .RapidMiner folder is probably hidden by default which is why you cannot see it. You can try googling "mac see hidden folders" to find a nice way to show. Once you have found the folder, please first try simply renaming it while Studio is NOT running, see if it helps. Otherwise post the log content which can be found in said folder.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    I did it!  ;)

Exactly, it was a misunderstanding. I follow your instructions and it finally works! I only had to change the ".RapidMiner" folder name. Thank you Marco. It is a relief to know that I do not have to buy a new computer...

Have a nice day,
    Antonio
  • Options
    hparrahparra Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    I'm facing the same problems. I cannot see the process  results after running it and I've tried all the above hints, reinstal, change folder, etc. 
    Thanks for your help.
    Hernán
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @Antonio this KB article may help you find files such as those on your computer. There are instructions for Windows and MacOS.

https://community.rapidminer.com/discussion/53095/rapidminer-studio-files-what-is-on-my-computer-and-where

@hparra some screenshots and your log files (as described by @Marco_Boeck) would help.

Scott

• Options
    hparrahparra Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Thanks I allready solved it
  • Options
    Hi,

May I suggest posting what was it in your case? Nothing worse on the internet than to search for a problem, find some guy who had the same problem, and then just posted "I solved it" without giving any information on how he actually solved it.  ;)

Regards,
    Marco