Options

Datamining for continuous process in manufacturing

LAFAURIEALAFAURIEA Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello,
I'm a very beginner in Rapidminer and machine learning tools. I was wondering what is the best tools to apply for chemical industry continuous process. I mean we run big equiment on a 24hours basis to make different kind of products. We would like to improve the yield of one type of product that we produce may be 5 times a year. A campaign is usually 2 to 3 weeks depending on how difficult we achieve the right specs.
Some of process data are on a 1 hours basis, some are twice a day, some are every 2 hours. I've got may be 10-15 Xi and the quality of the product can be discibed by 4-5 Yi. some process data are numerical and some are attributes.
I'd like to see if there are some relationship between campaign when we get good/bad products. we've got a very low yield and from campaign to another, parameters are not the same.
really wondering where to start!? on this kind of process datas.
thanks

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,512 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

this is indeed a very intersting project. There are several things you can do. Funnily RapidMiner Germany has a similar research project in germany: http://fee-projekt.de/Publikationen.html (site is sadly in german).

There is a general idea of having a set of settings and a set of materials and a desired quality. You can learn a model which predicts the quality for a given parameter and material set. If you have this model, you can easily simulate what would happen if a change a parameter etc.

what you would need to built is a data set like this:
    parameter1 parameter2 parameter3 material1 material2 QualityIn5Mins

The quality can be in 5 mins or per campaign. Afterwards this turn out to be a supervised regression task.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    LAFAURIEALAFAURIEA Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Thanks !
    How do you treat Time serie datas? Is it ID for the date? And campaign number? Batch? Cluster? Or is it better to treat all datas as just one.
    Difficult to explain :) May be there are some litterature or support I can get which is adapted to continuons manufacturing process. From what I found till now it is more dedicated on finance, marketing, text stuff than industrial process.
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,512 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

about time series: In the end you convert this again to one row (example) per time frame.

Lets assume you do it campaign wise (can also be in 5minutes steps or so). The you calculate features for the indivudual series. Things like:

Average
    Maximum
    Minimum
    Slope

etc. But also stuff you know because you have domain knowledge e.g. Number of values above a threshold. What you then get is a table like you had before

campaignid avg_series1, maximum_series1.... avg_series5, maximum_series5 etc.

and you can do the same things.I am not sure about literature though. Possibly you can find things in the proceedings of our users conference.

~Martin
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    There's several nice bits of literature on time series spread across a number of RapidMiner books.  One of the best places to start though might be here: http://www.simafore.com/blog/bid/109175/Time-Series-Forecasting-using-RapidMiner-for-cost-modeling-2-of-2  (Part 1 gives an explanation of how windowing works). 

There's several posts on that site on RapidMiner for manufacturing processes so have a dig around.  They also are the authors of one of the RM books. 
  • Options
    Nice link John! I will put this one into my list :)
    Dortmund, Germany