Options

Dragon NaturallySpeaking hanging when I use RapidMiner

SeanAtkissonSeanAtkisson Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

I have installed RapidMiner 7.1 Studio on a Windows 10 64-bit machine. I have a disability which precludes me from being able to use my keyboard as my input source. Instead I use voice recognition software, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, latest version.

When I fire up RapidMiner Studio 7.1, it freezes up Dragon NaturallySpeaking which leaves me helpless. The only way I can get out of Dragon NaturallySpeaking is to kill the process in task manager.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas on how I might go about resolving the issue? I sure would like to be able to use RapidMiner but I will not be able to if I can't use my voice recognition software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

from our side, RapidMiner Studio is simply a Java program. We don't do anything out of the ordinary on OS level, and we also do not access your microphone or other audio hardware.
    I'm afraid this is something that you would have to ask the company behind Dragon NaturallySpeaking on how to troubleshoot the issue. I personally cannot think of any reasonable cause on our side that would create this problem.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    naveenpaul23naveenpaul23 Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

Hi , I upgraded to 7.1 recently and Rapidminer gets stuck often and I can visibly confirm performance degradation. 

So much so that I had to unistall the 7.1 andf go back to 7.0.1

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn

Hi Sean,

I have never experienced anything beyond programs stuttering because RapidMiner simply consumes all resources of my computer. Did you try with other Java based programs already? Like for example SquirleSQL? If that program tries to read the screen or find a cell to enter text, it might simply not work with Java...

At least for MacOS X there seems to be incompatibilities.

Greetings,

Sebastian