Options

[SOLVED] RM 5.3 community edition - Which hardware is supported?

ighybooighyboo Member Posts: 26 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Dear all,
I've been playing around with RM for a bit now and I would like to upgrade my machine in order to speed up a bit the various analysis I'm performing.

It is fairly clear in the commercial version what are the limits in terms of handling multiple processors, amount of RAM, DBs, file formats, etc.

What is not clear to me is what's supported in the Community Edition

I was thinking of a second hand server with the following specs:
2x Xeon QuadCore (8 cores, potentially 16 threads if I'm lucky to find a Hyper-Threading enabled CPU)
8/16 GB Ram
Windows 7 64bit

Would that make sense?
Or is the community edition only capable of handling a certain amount of Cores/RAM?
If so, what are the limits?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Answers

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi,

the community edition, i.e. RapidMiner 5, is capable of handling an unlimited amount of hardware resources. For optimal usage it is best combined with a RapidMiner Server (formerly RapidAnalytics) which can be used to e.g. calculate several processes at the same time. It can also be installed on the same machine are accessed via the network. That way you could prepare your processes in RapidMiner Studio on your laptop and run them on the Server.

Best regards,
    Marius
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Marius

Maybe once I have put some more experience under the belt and start my own data-consultancy business I'll think about investing in a similar setup..

At the moment a second hand server (the HW flavour) will have to do..  :D

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi,

the RapidMiner Server is a piece of software that also has a community edition available on our website - no need for a new hardware server :)

Best regards,
    Marius
  • Options
    I see....  8)

Thanks a lot Marius! Always extremely helpful!!